PDA

View Full Version : Checking Particle Material ID in a test? Is it possible?

happychopper
06-16-2010, 05:16 PM
Hello guys and gals, I've hit a brick wall trying to check to see if my particles have one of 4 different material IDs (assigned randomly by a Mat Freq) and am seriously worried that it's actually impossible. It's possible to set the materialIndex (setParticleMtlIndex) but not be able to check for it.... bizarre.

My Aim is to have 6400 particles each with 1 of 4 different colours applied landing on a grid which then go and do fancy things one colour at a time. I need to be able to check for particle ID but there is nothing in the help that suggests I am able to - can anyone help?

I'd love to dip into Box 3 but right now that's going to be a few weeks off but there's a tax bill that needs paying next month...

:-)

P

PsychoSilence
06-16-2010, 05:54 PM
The super quickest hack USING box3 is that:

use a data test and have a condition "bigger or smaller THEN" and test that range true to be piped into a new event. Again that's probably the most un-elegant way to do this but it might do exactly what you do.

kind regards,
Anselm

happychopper
06-16-2010, 06:35 PM
Thanks Anselm - really grateful for your response and example - I wish I could grab a copy of Box 3 right now - currently trying with Group / Group Selection operators...

Or... Birth Script them with Material ID's already set...

Thanks,

P

CGTalk Moderation
06-16-2010, 06:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.