PDA

View Full Version : Vanilla walk cycle - feedback appreciated

krnowakowski
06-16-2010, 11:27 AM
Hi everyone,

First of all I'd like to say hello to all of you as I'm just starting my "career" on CGTalk (although I've had my account for a while already).

Recently, I have started learning animation. Even though I'm currently working in a different industry (I've graduated from Computer Science), I try to spend all of my free time on animation lately. For now it's a hobby turning into a passion. What will I make of it in the future... we'll see.

Back to the topic - after doing some basic balls animation to get a grasp of timing, spacing, overlap, follow-through and squash&stretch, I have finally animated my first plain walk cycle:
http://www.vimeo.com/12609673
I have animated it walking and then added translate to the main controller to keep the character in place.

I would appreaciate any feedback of what I did correctly and what I need to improve. From what I see, I don't "feel" the head which is giving me a hard time.

Thanks a lot in advance for help!

Chris

Jeremydjutras
06-16-2010, 03:48 PM
krnowakowski,

Looks pretty good. I think its needs a bit more weight. From the front view, I see the hips moving in a figure 8 pattern, which tells me you get it, you know that weight needs to shift from side to side and up and down and when. But feel free to push it a little, this is when things start to get fun, Have the sway from side to side be more extreme, have him drop faster into the foot plant and slower as he lifts himself into the extreme in transY. I see that you keyed rotations in the hips as well, try upping the intensity on these as well.

I like the overlap in the hands. Try getting a little toe in the step, try having the heel make contact then the ball of the foot followed by the toe. So, the foot just needs you to add a toe up pose, thats all.

You said you do not like the head, I think once you increase the weight in the hips than the head will need to react differently to the action that will be taking place in the hips. You could add drag and increase the weight shifts up there as well.

Great start and this is wonderful for a first time walk cycle!

krnowakowski
06-17-2010, 01:14 AM
Thanks a lot for the feedback Jeremy.

Now that you've mentioned it, I see the insufficient weight as well. Great point with the toe, I don't know how I missed that. I'll make the adjustments, play with pushing extremes farther and post an updated version soon.

I'm really happy that you find the walk cycle pretty good for a first time one. I guess that it's the result of how much time I've put into it. These 24 frames took me almost 10 hours to animate and even more studying Animator's Survival Kit as well as animation blogs and websites (and another 100 hours of studying, animating bouncing balls, balls with tails etc.)

Right now I'm working on an angry walk from ASK (http://www.theanimatorssurvivalkit.com/images/reviews/Foot_on_Backwards_Walk.jpg), I'll post it soon as well.

Thanks again,
Chris

krnowakowski
06-17-2010, 10:51 AM
Here is a revision of the walk cycle:

http://www.vimeo.com/12810636

Main changes are:
- weight to the hips added - slower up and faster down movement
- toe overlap while putting feet on the ground
- extremes pushed a little farther - up/down movement, hips Y rotation, hips and arms Z (movement direction axis) rotation
- modified head movement
- modified back arching

It's still not perfect, but I think it is a step forward compared to the previous version.

Feedback as always is most welcome.

CGTalk Moderation
06-17-2010, 10:51 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.