PDA

View Full Version : Falling Snow/Dirt using Particles...

hordePrime
09-19-2003, 01:39 AM
For an upcoming animation I'll be working on, I'll need to do two things using particles:

- Make a light, breezy snowfall

- Make dirt falling from a suspended object, and flying up as a rock is yanked from the ground.

What is the best way to do this?

Pete2003
09-19-2003, 10:36 AM
Hi,

Ive just had to make a 'light breezy snowfall' myself so heres what I did...
1.Made a plane and placed it up in the sky for the snow to emit from (Particles->emit from object).
2.Use cloud as the particle type and play around with the attributes in your particle cloud shader to get the look you want.
3.You could also create a scale per particle attribute which would allow you to add a creation expression such as
particleShape.scaleXPP = rand (0.5,1);
particleShape.scaleYPP = particleShape.scaleXPP;
This would obviously give each snowflake a random size between 0.5 and 1.
4. Add a gravity field and a turbulence field and play with the attributes until you get the movement you want.

For your second question. Hmm, probably a combination of 'dirt-sprite' particles (for big lumpy bits of dirt) and point particles.
Maybe play around with particles being emitted from the rock or group a seperate emitter to the rock.
Ideally you would want particles being emitted to inherit the velocity of the rock and then fall under gravity, can't think of how to do this off hand but Im sure its not that hard.

Good luck :)

Pete.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 04:09 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.