PDA

View Full Version : Help casting detailed shadows while using Mental Ray's Global Illumination.

SayPocket
06-16-2010, 04:34 AM
I'm working with an interior scene of a living room. I'm using global illumination to light all corners of the room naturally. I have curtains that are alpha mapped to be lace. So I'd like it if they could cast an obvious shadow on the floor. There is one light behind the window that the global illumination photons are coming from. And there is one spotlight shining through the window in order to cast a strong silhouette on the floor. However, while the spotlight looks great on its own and works well, once I turn on global illumination, my lace shadows are blurred out and no longer visible.

Is there any way to tell Maya to render the global illumination light first, and then do the normal spot light, so that I can keep my lace shadow? Or maybe there is another solution?

Cuni
06-16-2010, 04:26 PM
You can generate a direct shadow pass and tweak it on comp outside maya, darkening the spot shadow.

Hope this helps

CGTalk Moderation
06-16-2010, 04:26 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.