PDA

View Full Version : How to set displacement map detail in Mental Ray?

Royalcolornetwork
06-16-2010, 12:22 AM
Hello,

I have a project where I need to build a blob shape using displacement maps - no problem here. My question is this - I also need to show the client how the shape would appear in a realtime, OpenGL type environment. To do this, I intentionally need to set the detail in the displacement that Mental Ray creates to be very low - visible, un-smoothed polygons, etc.

How would I go about doing this? I realize this is the exact opposite of what most people are trying to achieve - but your advice is appreciated!

Eshta
06-17-2010, 05:53 PM
So you want real time disparagement ?
the answer would be no :(

TaKIKO
06-17-2010, 08:31 PM
Modify>Convert>Displacement to Polygons?

Sergio76
06-17-2010, 09:43 PM
How about doing it with normal map instead of a displacement, given the fact that you need it for real-time presentation?

DutchDimension
06-18-2010, 05:54 AM
You could look at the 'height field node' in the 'General Utilities' tab of the Hypershade.
It's not going to do exactly what you want, but it will give you some form of realtime displacements.
Having said that though, I would go with normal maps.

berniebernie
06-18-2010, 10:15 AM
You could look at the 'height field node' in the 'General Utilities' tab of the Hypershade.
It's not going to do exactly what you want, but it will give you some form of realtime displacements.
Having said that though, I would go with normal maps.

As far as I know heightfield can only be used on a plane (it creates its own geometry)

You can try DispalceD at http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/downloads/scripts-plugins/animation/c/displaced which is a realtime displacement deformer (don't expect it to be more detailed then your mesh, of course)

DutchDimension
06-18-2010, 10:29 AM
That is correct. You'll get just a plane. Which is why I wrote: "It's not going to do exactly what you want....."

The advantage of the height field node is a pretty decent controls over resolution. It's quick to rough out a number of shader settings which you can then use directly for the real thing.

As far as I know heightfield can only be used on a plane (it creates its own geometry)

Royalcolornetwork
06-18-2010, 04:59 PM
Hello everyone,

I've just installed DisplaceD and it is doing exactly what I'd hoped.

Thank you very much.

CGTalk Moderation
06-18-2010, 04:59 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.