PDA

View Full Version : Imported object renders with faces.

kielbasa
06-15-2010, 06:40 PM
Hi,

I downloaded bathtub from one of pages (3ds file), and imported it to 3ds max.In viewports it looks ok, but when I hit render its surface shows up with nasty faces.. (attachment) I tried using turbosmooth and yes, I get much more faces in viewport but render still rests unsmooth and exactly crappy the same.
I had such problems with dwg files and it was often the matter of import options, but here?
Is there any way to do sthg with its geometry to get it normal ?

j-man
06-15-2010, 10:37 PM
Hi,

Are the vertices welded together? After that select all the faces and click autosmooth

J.

kielbasa
06-16-2010, 07:07 AM
hi,

Thanks , that's almost it!
It get it smoothed when I click all vertices and then weld 0.001m, but as in attached file, some faces seem to be brighter.

Any idea ?

j-man
06-16-2010, 08:09 AM
Almost there,

In the face subobject level select all the faces, and take a mental note of what smoothing group numbers are assigned to the faces. Now delselect all but the top faces around the brim of the bathtub. Now click clear all to remove the smoothing groups, and then assign on smoothing group that wasn't in use before, or one that is a number that is adjavent to a group that was assigned before. ie, if when you had all the groups assigned there were groups 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5, then assign any number 7 or above.

J.

kielbasa
06-16-2010, 08:47 AM
J,

Thanks.
I think I'm really almost there, but still need You to give me a hand ;)
look at the attachement, I did what You said, but now there are some nasty faces inside.
You think I'm doing sthg wrong? Maybe there is a way I could send You the file ?

cheers,

j-man
06-16-2010, 05:41 PM
Hi,

just go to the edge level and click 'select open edges', this should show you if thre are any vertices that are not welded propertly, simply go to the vertex level for each break and move and weld the vertices that are not welded.

J.

kielbasa
06-17-2010, 06:46 AM
It seems, that it doesn't do the trick.
Clicking the 'open edges' shows no vertices welded improperly.
I think I'll just model the bath from the begining, it will take less time than trying to get to know what's wrong with this one.

anyway thanks for Your time!

CGTalk Moderation
06-17-2010, 06:46 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.