PDA

View Full Version : Anticipating Problems with the UVs and Normal Maps

egnarodude
06-15-2010, 04:13 PM
I have crated a self portrait in 3d and thought I was done with it. However after I had a pretty good critique of it i realized my ego was in the way and my piece was very far from done. So I have taken the model back into zbrush for some long term tweaking. It is coming out great and I plan on creating a normal map to be placed on the lower poly. Here is my dilemma. I had already uv unwrapped the entire model, however now that I have actually been changing the proportions on the model, those uvs will need to be unwrapped again. This would be an easy fix hypothetically by simply exporting the low poly model and uvunwrapping it as before, however I am unsure how to re-import that new uvmap into the ztool that I have already made quite a bit of progress on in order to get the normal map I want... is there a way to do this?

not sure if i communicated the problem properly so I will break it down

imported low polywhich was already unwrapped into zbrush and have been tweaking it in subdivisions/5 so that I can get the detail I want to match the low poly via normal mapping. This is very convenient. My worry is that my normal map will not look right because the proportions have changed on the low poly. I need to remap the uvs without losing my progress on my model (i.e. trying to not have to remap uvs, then start sculpting from the beginning again...)

any pointers?

RichardMarklew
06-15-2010, 05:11 PM
Save a morph target at the lowest subdivison, then import the model with the new UVs, this will overwrite your existing lowest level including bringing in the UVs. Switch your morph target to make sure the geometry matches the original lowest level.

egnarodude
06-16-2010, 03:16 PM
Will this import the new model into the same "tool" in zbrush? Im pretty unfamiliar with morph targets and what they are for...

SO hopefully this is what will happen?...
I bring in a the newunwrapped model in my switched morph target, and this will have the new uvs. This will not however overwrite the higher level geometry and I will be able to make a normal map from the higher level onto these new UVs?

egnarodude
07-08-2010, 07:43 PM
bump? please help

RichardMarklew
07-10-2010, 11:58 AM
It replaces the lowest subdivision while keeping all your high levels untouched.
Wouldn't the quickest way to confirm this have been just to have tried it out on a copy of your model.

CGTalk Moderation
07-10-2010, 11:58 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.