PDA

View Full Version : Pflow crash

gavna
06-14-2010, 09:38 PM
Hi there,

Can someone help me find a solution with my problem please?

I have modeled a piece of lego and arrayed it numerous times to create a large object.
Then selected them all, centered pivot and reset the xform. Hidden the objects and then using bobo's script ( scripting custom chunks ) my pflow crashes.
If i only have a small number of lego objects ( eg. 100 ) and use the script then all is well and works fine but as soon as i have more than about 1000 objects then it crashs.

Thanks Gav...

Bobo
06-14-2010, 10:16 PM
Hi there,

Can someone help me find a solution with my problem please?

I have modeled a piece of lego and arrayed it numerous times to create a large object.
Then selected them all, centered pivot and reset the xform. Hidden the objects and then using bobo's script ( scripting custom chunks ) my pflow crashes.
If i only have a small number of lego objects ( eg. 100 ) and use the script then all is well and works fine but as soon as i have more than about 1000 objects then it crashs.

Thanks Gav...

Does it crash at render time or in the viewports?
When rendering, PFlow will combine the meshes of all particles into one large mesh by default. If it reaches around 5 million faces, it will crash (don't remember the exact count, but somewhere around that). In that case, the solution is to enable multiple meshes in the Render operator so the PFlow can split the one single mesh into multiple meshes to pass to the renderer.

If the crash in during PFlow editing without rendering, I don't know what it could be...

Is this 32 or 64 bit Max?

gavna
06-15-2010, 10:04 AM
Hi Bobo,

Thanks for your time!

The crash is in the viewports before render time. I have done some tests and it seems your right, below 5 millions faces its fine, then above 5 million it seems to crash so have selected the multiple meshes option but to no help, i understand it will only help in the render anyway!
I have tried on 32 and 64 bit max.

Oh well im sure ill sort something out!

Thanks Gav...

gavna
08-03-2010, 12:37 PM
Just a quick reply while this is on my mind and if anyone else is having this problem, I was running out of RAM causing max to crash. Turns out 4gb just isnt enough!!!

CGTalk Moderation
08-03-2010, 12:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.