PDA

View Full Version : FumeFX BIRTH not working

Nickolay411
06-14-2010, 03:24 PM
Hi Guys,

I have a problem. Has anyone had this happen to them?

I have a fumefx simulation done with fuel,smoke,velocity and fluidmapping channels exported. And I can render and see it in the preview.

I load it into a FUMEFX birth in pflow. Added a fumefx follow. I can't get any particles to be visible? Im showing 100 percent in the viewport and still nothing. Pflow updates on everframe but nothing appears.

I tried a brand new scene with a new sim and it works fine! Am I missing a checkbox somewhere?

Anyhelp would be good help!

Thanks
N

Bandu
06-14-2010, 03:45 PM
maybe some of the PFlow helpers are hidden, or layer??
try to unhide all objects in scene.
you said yourself it works in a new scene, isn't it?

Bandu

JohnnyRandom
06-14-2010, 06:01 PM
In addition to Bandu's tips run Galagasts script (http://limjeff.wordpress.com/2010/01/15/maxscript-select-all-pf-nodes/) to select everything pflow and move them all to the same layer.

macroScript Select_PF_Nodes
category:"Particle Flow"
buttonText:"Select PF Nodes"
tooltip:"Select PF Nodes"
(
pf_sources = for i in $* where (i.classid)[1] == 1345457306 collect i
pf_events = for i in $* where (i.classid)[2] == 515064576 collect i
pf_actions = for i in $* where (i.classid)[2] == 515064320 collect i
deselect $*
selectmore pf_sources
selectmore pf_events
selectmore pf_actions
)

Nickolay411
06-14-2010, 06:49 PM
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the help. I tried all of the things you guys mentioned. Still just not birthing. So i started resimming the fumefx. And halfway through I pressed STOP. I loaded up what was done and fumefx birth and follow worked properly.

Now hear what happens next. I press the continue simulation button on fume. And it finishes the rest of the animation range. I go to my pflow turn it on. And once again there was nothing.

also I merged grid into another scene and tried it there also nothing.

Just Wild.

Ill play around with some other stuff. And keep you posted.

-N

floopyb
06-15-2010, 12:33 AM
Are your start, play from and start frame all the same value in your FumeFX grid?

Nickolay411
06-15-2010, 05:39 PM
I just ended up recreating a new GRID. :) Should have done that sooner. :)

Thanks for the help guys.

-N

Nickolay411
06-15-2010, 09:18 PM
Hey Guys,

Have any of you noticed that when you use FumeFX birth that the particles don't actually birth on the early frames?

I had a pflow source emmiting at frames 8-18 for the simulation.

Now Im running the fumefx birth from that simulation and the particles dont show up until frame 18. All teh values are default except birth start and birth stop. :( im having some bad luck this week...

Has anyone had this happen?

Thanks in advance,
Nick

Nickolay411
06-15-2010, 09:28 PM
also in the viewport i can clearly see the smoke birthing at the right frames. Something with pflow? I tried different integration steps but still wont work.

cheerioboy
06-16-2010, 01:16 PM
I'd take a look at your smoke amount. It appears that the FumeFX birth will refuse to work unless there's a certain amount of smoke/fuel for it to start following. :argh:

Nickolay411
06-16-2010, 02:00 PM
Hey Brendan,

Good to see you on here. :)

OHMAN my smoke amount was at 1.0 !!! So I ran the sim with amount 5!

Now all the strands are birthing even at the right frame! WORKS SO FREAKING WELL. Looks like the fumefx birth operator sucks with a low smoke amount. :(

Thanks and Cheers,
Nick

JohnnyRandom
06-16-2010, 05:39 PM
Now all the strands are birthing even at the right frame! WORKS SO FREAKING WELL. Looks like the fumefx birth operator sucks with a low smoke amount. :(

LOL, it works just fine, you need to SET your Minimum Smoke Value in the FumeFX Follow operator, that is what all of those parameters are for ;) not just to look cool :D

For instance if you are only birthing 1.0 smoke per voxel from your source and the FumeFX Birth operator-> Smoke->Minimum Value is set to 2.0 you will see NO birthing of particles, if you set the Minimum Value to 1.0 it WILL born particles because you have 1.0 smoke per voxel, unless of course you kill that smoke too fast with dissipation. Then adjust the Minimum Value accordingly.

Nickolay411
06-16-2010, 08:04 PM
AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Thanks Johnny.

LOL.

Nickolay411
06-16-2010, 08:21 PM
gettin schooled ova here on the east coast...

JohnnyRandom
06-16-2010, 08:31 PM
haha, no worries dude, Um frum Long Island :)

Nickolay411
06-16-2010, 09:08 PM
Nice! NY is a great place. I came to NY for commercial work from Baltimore Maryland.
If you are ever out here hit the max community for a drink. :)

Thanks for the help again.
Best,
N

btw everyone im changing my alias to the one i have on orbaz.
Nickolay411.

CGTalk Moderation
06-16-2010, 09:08 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.