PDA

View Full Version : still: library

squib
09-18-2003, 06:36 PM
I created this scene for my texturing and lighting class. It was created with Maya Complete 4.5 in about a day. I had wanted to keep the geometry fairly light and concentrate mostly on getting textures and lighting right, so I'm really looking for crits on texturing and lighting.

http://homepage.mac.com/squib/images/library/lib1.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/squib/images/library/lib_wire1.jpg

Almost all textures are procedural. I spent quite a bit of time trying to keep them from looking too CG. Should I have used bitmaps instead?

Crit away!

Akkalis
09-19-2003, 09:07 AM
I like procedural, generally for a nice cartoony effect, for games though it has to be mapped (I think) and for ulter realism, its generally likely mapped to, for the extra control. If you are using Maya, it just spits procedurals out as maps anyway I believe. The biggest thing I noticed, aside from what I will get to next, is the bump on the floor and the wood could use some varnish.

Biggest thing though, is your lighting is flat, I don't see -any- cast shadows, or shadows at all really which gives it an older feel (older in the sense of Older CG)

Gideon
09-26-2003, 07:10 AM
I really like what you've done here, but I do have a couple of suggestions that might help. The books on the shelves could really use some creative texturing. A lable here and there, maybey some gold trim at the top and bottom on a few, and lean some of them over maybey. Also, it might be a good idea to have a yellow spotlight (possibly projecting light coming from a partially opened door) shining on the books from the left side of the room.

A small painting on the back wall next to the window would give the piece more depth, and perhaps you could put wood inside the window for the glass. Try to hint at something else being outside, it doesn't have to be clear what it is, but it would also add more depth.

I agree with Akkalis about the bump map on the floor, and adding just a hint of reflection would look really nice. Very nice work though.

Mazer
09-26-2003, 07:42 AM
One thing I think you have to work before concentrating on the lighting is the composition.
I think the ideia as potential but the way the camera is aimed just brakes-it IMHO. The best word I can remenber to try to describe my opinion is "Claustrofobic", I would move the book shelf a bit, aim the camera up and move-it to the right just a bit, and maybe away from the table. the fog contributes to this also, I would reduce-it , maybe use-it just close to the window.

As for the textures, you did a nice job with the procedurals, you just need to add dirt to all the textures, its suposed to be an old library, so the furniture needs to look old.

For the lighting, your Ideia is the main light to be from a candle by the book? And I supose some moonlight or dawn light from the window?
There's a good tut about candles at gnomon online, you could put the candle visible in the scene ;)

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 05:09 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.