PDA

View Full Version : Compositing techniques

wilsonhaze
06-12-2010, 12:57 AM
Hi everyone,
I'm a growing 3d/vfx artist, I currently have this urgent task of inserting a live footage of a character into a 3d environment i created in 3ds max. (Image included)

The problem I'm facing is adding a realistic shadow beneath the character, because there are times the character moves back and front (z axis) and if i should use a duplicated perspective of the live footage to achieve a shadow it appears to float when the character moves either back or front, the technique only works when the character moves left and right (x & y axis) .

I haven't started the color correction yet (i have some fair knowledge about it), but i wouldn't mind getting advice on how to color correct for this scene so it can match the scene as closely as possible.

Mylenium
06-12-2010, 07:23 AM
I'm not sure I see your problem. If she moves back and forth, you can still use a duplicate and tilt it into perspective using corner pin or whatever, you just may need to pre-compose it to a suitably sized comp to cover the entire area. The rest - well, a simple color correction isn't gonna save the 3D. It looks flat and the textures' relative sizes do not match the size of the talent. I'd seriously consider using a less plastic-y look...

Mylenium

Reysal
06-12-2010, 05:37 PM
Hey !
I agree with Mylenium, you should consider working a little more on the 3D. First, your perspective between the live action and the 3D plate isn't matching.
Then, your textures deserve a touch of work, also it's the first time in my life I've seen lit lights that look turned of. So add glow and exposure.
You've got these huge green godrays and they don't interact with the rest of the scene, what a shame.
Here's a nice tutorial about shadows : http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/3d_shadows/
Oh, and as the light source behind the woman is pretty intense, consider light wraps in compositing. Good luck !
Looking forward to the finished result !

wilsonhaze
06-12-2010, 10:58 PM
Thanks a lot, all this while,the duplicate was a 2d perspective layer, when i duplicated it and made it a 3d layer the shadow worked well for me.

Should i reduce the size of the texture for the 3d environment?....and what do you think i should do to make it look less plastic-y

I will be very grateful for any help i get...Thanks a lot

ernpchan
06-12-2010, 11:40 PM
The perspective/scale of the room looks off compared to the live action.

More variation in the texturing would help, the walls of the room look like they were just freshly painted Unless that's the look you're going for.

Reysal
06-13-2010, 07:30 AM
Yeah, you should consider UV mapping your texture and scale it down so there's more detail. Also, try tweaking the specularity of the texture. Also, think about adding an ambient occlusion pass. Good luck !

wilsonhaze
06-13-2010, 05:51 PM
I re-worked on the textures, added the light wrap, added an ambient occlusion pass, tweaked the specularity, changed the perspective, added glow on the fluorescent bulbs and reduced the green GOD RAYS .
And this is what i have now, is it ready for color correcting?

Any help will be greatly accepted. Thanks

Reysal
06-13-2010, 07:19 PM
Hey ! You're nearly there ! The light wrap and textures still need a little more work in my opinion; plus you got the shadow the wrong way round, and you should also have a soft circular shadow underneath her because of all the lights interacting. For the textures, in fact they look much better, but if you can add more detail, go for it. Good luck !

wilsonhaze
06-14-2010, 06:25 AM
Thanks a lot for all the help i've gotten so far, cos' i've really learnt a lot.

I tweaked the light wrap on the character and added the soft shadow beneath, I think the scene is looking way better now, so i guess i'll be moving to the next one.
Sending more screen shots.

Reysal
06-14-2010, 07:13 PM
Okay, awesome, you're right it's much better. Good luck for the color correction :thumbsup:

wilsonhaze
06-14-2010, 09:21 PM
I color corrected the scene, added a bit of motion blur since the camera will be moving during the shots, tweaked the light wrap more and changed the color of the rays, I feel red is better, but not sure yet, also tweaked the shadows too,
I'm planning to grade next.
Thanks for all the help so far, i'm still open to more help. Thanks.

Reysal
06-15-2010, 08:48 AM
WOW, this a coming out really well ! Good job !
Just an idea here : as the color of the rays is red (which is much better), you should maybe add some detail to what's behind the huge fan, like a city dropoff with a nice mild sunset kinda light. Good luck !

Reysal
06-15-2010, 08:54 AM
Also, I just noticed that the color difference between the two smaller fans and the big one is too strong, doesn't look too natural.

wilsonhaze
06-21-2010, 09:54 AM
I've changed, the color of the rays, I'll still color correct the fans, and add more detail in the background, planning to add a sky to it too. I'm impressed at the stage I'm at now, there's so much difference from the first image I posted. Thanks a lot, I'm so grateful for all your help Reysal, Mylenium and Ernpchan, don't think I would have gotten this project to look this good if it wasn't for you guys, most especially you Reysal.
Thanks

Reysal
06-22-2010, 09:35 AM
You're very welcome Wilsonhaze, it's been a pleasure, hope your learnt a lot ! But you still have much to learn, my apprentice, like us all ! :beer:

CGTalk Moderation
06-22-2010, 09:35 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.