PDA

View Full Version : single or dual monitor

FonteBoa
06-11-2010, 09:23 PM
Would it there be some waste of performance at After Effects (and Premiere)
by using two monitors (and not just one) with a single graphic card?

Thanks in advance.

erilaz
06-11-2010, 11:52 PM
For the gain you would receive in human performance alone, the extra monitor is worth it.

Unless you have a very basic graphics card it is not going to tax AE all that much to use it on two screens.

ToddKopriva
06-12-2010, 04:24 AM
I keep my main work on a large 16:9 monitor, and I have a smaller 4:3 monitor for utilities, like Bridge, a browser, and the Metadata panel. I have some custom two-monitor workspaces (http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WSAD1AB1CD-CE19-4d9a-AF5E-3C28E638B564.html) saved.

evanfotis
06-13-2010, 04:08 PM
...although the CS3 onwards UI has made working on even a single monitor efficient, unlike the old mess with floating and overlapping panels around, it still is way more productive to work on dual or triple monitor setup.
For starters, one can view the comp window in a decent size, especially for HD work (assuming no blackmagic or aja cards are hooked) and you still have space for multiple expanded timelines and nifty panels open to view at a glance.

The only slight drawback in AE on old machines with a weak cpu & vga card that is, if you open a second comp window, say in a 3D comp, and have one window showing active camera and the other a 4 view display top, left custom etc, having them in full quality will indeed slow things down.

uroshp
07-02-2010, 05:04 PM
dual all the way!!
when i freelance at a studio and they got only one i immediately ask for another, way more productive and the fact that you can see all of your layers and be able to look at your footage at full res is a definite plus!

long live dual display!!

CGTalk Moderation
07-02-2010, 05:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.