PDA

View Full Version : Maya 2011 ik system

andylt1
06-11-2010, 10:03 AM
Hi all

We provide a rig in maya to 3rd party developers, now the rig was done some time ago in maya 8.5, and for compatability and ease of support (or so we thought :D) we decided to arm and leg setup with a single maya joint chan, so the arm can be positioned in ik using a control and the joints can be keyed in ik mode and switched to fk mode seamlessly.. all works nicely... pretty rock solid you'd think right.....

Now, we have recently found out that, for some unknown rason, autodesk has decided to change how the basic maya ik solves in post 2009, it now favours "Set IK/FK keys" to switch. Our current setup breaks as soon as you are in ik and key the joints related to that ik.

So does anyone have any good experience of this new system (i say 2011 but it may have been intorduced in 2010, were still on 2009 in my studio), Is there a way to get the ik to solve as it did before in previous versions? itll save us a ton of work of we can replicate how it worked before.

ive done some digging and it seems the setup needed to enabe keying of ik joints require a re rig on our ik for us... meaning seperate rigs for different maya versions.. not great for compatibility and standardization for our partners. though i may be missing something in the setup, hence the post :)

any advice and info is appreciated

cheers

tonytouch
06-12-2010, 07:49 AM
hi , i can confirm this.

it happens also in my rigs ( initially created in maya8.5 , those were working 100% in maya2009 - during our entire shortfilm-production )

i loaded them now in maya2010 ( and everything is alright in 2010 in my case )
when loaded in maya2011 - i now get some bad flippings on the the joints when moving the IK_control ( for some poses ) .

technique used : ikBlend-method ( just one single jointChain / jointRotations controlled by control_curves via a set of aim- and pointConstraints / windows 7 64bit )

really bad .... i would just expect my old rigs to be fully working , without such an odd behavior . i mean IKhandles is one of the "basic"-animation_tools - and this "needs" to be fully working , like it used to be !!!

djx
06-13-2010, 09:25 AM
Is there any chance that you have changed the order of the rotation axes on the joints?

I found that in 2011 if you do NOT use xyz order then the ik flips once you have keyframes on the joints, so all my rigs broke too. For now, I have changed the order back to xyz which is not good for some parts of the rig, but its the only workaround I have at this stage.

David

tonytouch
06-13-2010, 05:25 PM
hi david , thanx for posting your experience !

---------
i definitely have different rotateOrders than xyz .

i just tried to switch the orders for the fkJoints to xyz and , it is working now , as expected , but it is "no solution" , the only solution would be autodesk fixes this bug .

andylt1
06-14-2010, 08:01 AM
Ah cheers for the insight guys. That helps me be more sure that its an internal thing and not just some new switch or mode ive missed.

Agreed Tony It's not a viable fix for us also, as the rig we distribute is firmly locked down.

Ill play about a bit more with this today, however it does 'seems' its a bug fix for A'desk.

Cheers

gonzalimator
06-14-2010, 08:26 PM
Autodesk just released another hotfix for Maya 2011 and it seems to address this issue.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=15255438&linkID=9242259

tonytouch
06-17-2010, 09:40 AM
hi ,

just wanted to tell , that for my rigs , they seem to be working now in HOTFIX2

but i did not yet had a chance of testing any old-animations yet , but this flipping does not occur anylonger ( at least , as far , as i can see it right now - within the basic-poses , that i tried before , where it was flipping , because of the rotate_orders of my joints )

thanx Autodesk !

CGTalk Moderation
06-17-2010, 09:40 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.