PDA

View Full Version : Render Layers in Maya 2008

CosmicRage
06-11-2010, 07:41 AM
Hey everyone,
I am doing a project where I have a cube in the center surrounded by other cubes and I want to composite them in after effects, however, I need the center cube on its own layer and the surrounding cubes on a separate layer. So I was wondering if anyone could help me out with some render layers? I saw some options but I am not really sure if what I am doing is right? For example I can have a beauty, shadow and specular pass to name a few. Someone showed me how to do render layers in 2009 with the linking type system but in 2008 its way different. I searched around for some tuts on 2008 render layers but it seems like the good tuts are all in 2009 maya... I appreciate any help at all! Thanks a lot in advance!!

chafouin
06-11-2010, 11:38 AM
Using render layers to render different passes is not a good idea, since it will have to render every images*number of passes. If you want to render passes, then use framebuffer. I'm not sure, but I think deex Shaders work on Maya 2008 (you can find them on this forum).

You can use render layers to separate your cubes (1 for the one in the middle, 1 for the others), using a material override with a usebackground or a mip_matteshadow shader, to get the right alpha and interaction between them. Use background doesn't work really well with MentalRay so I would definitely use mip_matteshadow, but you will have to enable those shaders: http://mymentalray.com/wiki/index.php/Production_shader_library

CGTalk Moderation
06-11-2010, 11:38 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.