PDA

View Full Version : Help ! texture baking for realtime 3d

whitedemon
06-11-2010, 12:44 AM
Hi , i have a friend of mine who is starting a new business in 3d which is a company that does ''interactive 3d visualisation ''( i hope i said it right :) )! ...so as expected he offered me a job :cool: ... the sad part is i have no experience in that part of cg at all ! i had different jobs in cg so far but none of them had to do any thing with this field whic is all about low poly modelling an TEXTURE BAKING :surprised ...
i use 3ds max and mental ray
so pleaaaaaase anyone knows anything like(books , tutorials, websites ) just any thing related related to this (BAKING LIGHTS or Texture BAKING...whatever :cry: ... in 3ds max and mental ray ) process .. guys please post it
anyhelp would be really appreciated guys
thnx in advance

MisterS
06-11-2010, 09:52 AM
Look for Faking GI on complex scenes thread in this (lighting) forum. And baking a tree thread in the 3DS Max forum. I've just learnt this process.

what software are you using?

In a nutshell, look for batch bake to texture. Set you nice lighting rig up, fg, gi, whatever, bake all your textures into self illum slot in your material. Switch it on within material editor.

Switch your lights, GI, FG, exp control off etc. My render that took 17 mins, now takes 2

whitedemon
06-11-2010, 01:57 PM
thanx:) .. i'll take a look at these threads .. i can't believe that a render of 17 min. takes only 2 !! that's awsome ! BTW i use 3ds max and mentalray ...

bake all your textures into self illum slot in your material

iam sry but i don't understand what u mean by this ? cuz i have a lot of maps after baking ( u know one with lighting and one for diffuse , shadows , ...etc ) how can i put them all in the self illu slot ?

THNX for help

MisterS
06-11-2010, 02:38 PM
I'm using Max too.

You can bake a 'complete' map, into self ill slot. Do that with all of your lights set to emit diffuse only, (look in advanced options in light setup).
Before you bake though, in MR render setup, under render tab, dissable reflections too.

Once your map is baked into self illumination slot (and you may have to go through each material and activate it despite map being in the right slot) you can switch your reflections back on, and adjust your lights so they emit specular only and switch shadows off.
Also switch skylight off and exposure control (if you used it - or perhaps I should have left it off when I baked my textures?? I'm learning too!) and switch GI and FG off.

now render superfast.

whitedemon
06-11-2010, 02:45 PM
aha :cool: . i see ! ok i'll try this method and comeback to u .
Cheers ;)

CGTalk Moderation
06-11-2010, 02:45 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.