PDA

View Full Version : Baking Particles on a Fragments of an Object

Bardipper
06-10-2010, 08:11 PM
I want to bake particles on the fragments of an object that I fragmented in Rayfire. The only way I could make that happen was use a script from a tornado a tutorial that positions particles on each frag; then I used the Lock/ Bond operator to lock the particles on the surface. Is there a better way, or is there a script available for baking particles on a fragmented object?
Thanks.

PsychoSilence
06-10-2010, 08:43 PM
you should definitely look into PFlow Baker :)

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/pflow-baker

Bardipper
06-10-2010, 11:12 PM
I tried it. I can select an emitter but not the fragments that have to have particles deposited on them. Particles have to be generated, deposited on each fragment of a mesh object, say a cube fractured in Rayfire. If There are 30 fragments, I need one particle baked on each frag. I couldn't figure out how PFlow Baker can do that. Am I missing something?
Thanks

floopyb
06-16-2010, 12:00 AM
Is this type of thing what you mean?
http://www.scriptspot.com/bobo/mxs5/pflow/pflow__MovingObjects.htm

Bardipper
06-16-2010, 06:44 AM
Not quite what I had in mind. I've attached a simple max (2010) example. Basically fragging an object (I use Rayfire), getting one particle on each frag and then using Fume to ad fire to the particles. I used a script that comes with a tornado tutorial to position the particles on the frags. Then I used the Lock/Bond operator to lock them on the surface. I was just wondering if there isn't a single script that can bake the particles. I can bake a particle on a single mesh using Bake, but I couldn't figure out how to get bake particles on fragments of the mesh.

Sure like to know if there's an easier way. Thanks.

floopyb
06-16-2010, 07:02 AM
Ahh, yes i understand now!

You will need to make a birth script in pflow that creates one partice per object you have fragmented, then a script operator to move each partice to the new location of the fragmented objects... I know I have see an example of this floating around on the orbaz forums or somewhere. You can also do this type of setup easily with box #3, or even use the box #2 birth group operator to start with..

I think the birth script from below is correct, you just need to make the particles follow the chunks rather than the other way around
http://www.orbaz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=326&highlight=birth+script

Bardipper
06-16-2010, 09:29 PM
Thanks, Jordan. I'll try these scripts, but the Lock/Bond operator will bake a particle on each frag -- after the particle has been moved to the proper location. Most of the scripts I've seen have the mesh following the particle. That's why Lock/Bond seems to work -- the particle follows the mesh.
Richard

JohnnyRandom
06-16-2010, 10:08 PM
Do you need these particles to break off?

Well you're on the right track, in fact almost there, if I understand you correctly this is what you want or at least a real similar permutation of it.

http://4rand.com/TEST/ParticleFlow/Misc/BornOnFragment/BornOnFragment.gif

Added to your scene:
Max2010_BornOnFragment.rar (http://4rand.com/TEST/ParticleFlow/Misc/BornOnFragment/Max2010_BornOnFragment.rar)

Bardipper
06-16-2010, 11:06 PM
Using Position Object allows you to put any number of particles on the object. However, it doesn't guarantee that each frag will have a particle. How do you get the particles to stay on the object? When I did the first part of your example, I got the particles on the object, but they didn't stay. Why use the Age Test?

JohnnyRandom
06-16-2010, 11:23 PM
Correct, are you only planning on birthing one particle per fragment? if so, why?

Chances are when you use a position object and a high particle density you will always get more than one particle per fragment, also you can use separation to help motivate particles to go other places.

The particles are locked to the fragments using the "Lock On Emitter" option in the position object operator.

The Age Test merely releases the bind created by the Position Object "Lock On Emitter" option. You don't obviously need it and of course there are a thousands ways to skin a cat.

For example you could leave all of the particles bound to the emitter group object and collision spawn new particles. This in effect is seeding your fragment shapes so when/where they collide with collision objects they will spawn new particles imitating impact debris.

Bardipper
06-17-2010, 12:16 AM
I'll mess around with this more tonight. I tried to upload an avi of what I'm working towards, but it's too big. Here are a couple of jpgs that will give you an idea of where I'm going.

I like one particle because it usually does the job in Fume and it doesn't load up the machine. But I'll play with Position Object.

You guys are a big help. Thanks again.

CGTalk Moderation
06-17-2010, 12:16 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.