PDA

View Full Version : Reel advice

AignerCG
06-09-2010, 02:15 PM
Hope I'm in the right forum, this doesn't really fit anywhere...
I am a 3d hobbyist and could use some advice. I am putting together a reel with most of my work in it. I intend to include a link on my CV. I don't intend to apply for any specific jobs as animator for example, I will mostly be applying for advertising and marketing jobs, but want to include a link to the reel to show creativity.
Most of the stuff I have done is character setup and animation, but I also have some stills, a turntable for a non-animated character and some motion graphics.
First of all, is there even a point in making a reel that is so general, or would it be wiser to make a 'character setup and animation reel'. Thing is, I also did the modelling, texturing, rendering ect.
Second, what do I call it? Generalist reel?

Also, would it be realistic of me to apply to actual media/3d production studios with this material and considering I have only done 3d as a hobby?

Here's my reel so far: http://www.vimeo.com/12424987

Thanks,

Philip

dpumpa
06-10-2010, 06:29 AM
I don't have too much experience with reel types, but whenever we mention the term "generalist" in school we get slapped on the wrist. Every single one of us had to pick a focus and a sister skill, but only our focus made it into the demo reel. I'm not saying that there aren't "generalist" positions out there or that generalists can't succeed, but I've always heard that you should be amazing at one thing rather then a jack of all trades. Of the reels I have seen they've either called themselves a "3D Generalist" or a "3D Artist."

You have enough animation in there to create an animation demo reel so I would give that a shot. You have a great sense of timing and squash and stretch.

I loved your child assets, they have great appeal and I think you captured the character pretty well. Something you could fix in general though is the popping. This is caused by suddenly starting or stopping a motion. You can fix this by easing to a stop, anticipating a start, or using a "moving hold" where the character continues the motion to a much lesser degree.

When everything is still our eye is drawn to motion, when everything is moving our eye is drawn to the still.

AignerCG
06-10-2010, 10:09 AM
Hi dpumpa, thanks for your reply, I very much appreciate it. I think I will avoid making my reel too general then. I will leave out my still images and only use animation. Then I can call it an animation reel, or maybe 'asset/character creation and animation reel'?

Also thanks for your animation tips, I won't have time to go back and improve all of the clips, but I might go in and add some more subtle movement to the boy, and will deffinately keep it in mind for the future.

Philip

stjons
06-10-2010, 04:54 PM
Hey
I think you have some nice animation in your reel, I especially liked the barrel piece, it had such a great feel to it. There are a couple of things I would change though. I didn't think the animation with the red and black stick figures was as strong as the rest. Most people suggest only including your strongest work, as slightly weaker pieces can stick in peoples minds. Also, I would lower the sound levels on the last piece and include the dialogue for the little boy, it would be nice to hear what he is saying since you went to the trouble of animating it.

Apart from that great job.

Cheers
Jonny

AignerCG
06-11-2010, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the input stjons, I agree, the stickman animation is about 2 years old and is not as good as the rest, I think I'll take it out. Will also add the boy's voice so you can hear it. Will post back here soon, thanks again!

AignerCG
06-14-2010, 08:24 PM
Hello, I have removed all old and not so good animation sequences and used only the best ones. Also added in the voice for the boy animation. Still not entirely sure about what to call it, I have put 'character creation and animation' but think I'll change it to either animation reel or just 'showreel'. Anyways here is the complete version (so far) would love to hear opinions.

http://www.vimeo.com/12559312

AignerCG
06-15-2010, 02:57 PM
Right, I have made some final modifications. Changed the title and added more credits. Also added some more subtle movement to the boy animation. I think I am going to call this finished. Thanks for your help!

http://www.vimeo.com/12584037

CGTalk Moderation
06-15-2010, 02:57 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.