PDA

View Full Version : 2D animation - acting exercise

oferkapota
06-09-2010, 10:38 AM
Hello, this is an acting exercise I just finished for the end of 1st year in animation studies. It contains no dialog, as we havn't got to that yet, and drawing are very simple. Still, I hope there is enough there to make it interesting to watch, and I would be happy to hear what you think about it, what is good and what is bad, etc.

Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE6Ir3vVSMI

bonkanailios
06-18-2010, 02:23 PM
0:06
When her head moves the hair also seems to overcompensate. Secondary action is all about dragging objects through space. The object should be dragging behind the head (I usually try to do it on at least a 2 frame delay, 3 if possible) but, what it should not be doing is moving of its own accord. Look at it. Look at it as a flat shape on the page for a moment. Go against all of your drawing instincts and just let go of the 3d form for just this one motion.
what do you see?
the hair bundle MOVES DOWN!? why would it do that? why would it do that when the rest of the head is moving up.
OK
good.
lets look at it as a three dimensional space again.... Whats going on with the hair.
Thats not squash and stretch.
Squash and stretch relies on the objects keeping the same amount of volume. The hair is changing in volume grossly during this little swish.

Let me say: people will endlessly forgive you for losing volume on more squishy characters.
This character however isn't a super forgiving design in that respect.
Actually while I am on it.
This character doesn't have very much appeal. If you are animating in 2d, why are you animating what looks like a disfigured 3d armature?
Its proportions look harrowing to keep track of, but it on the other hand doesn't look that great. You could have easily come up with something more animator friendly, that looked great. Especially with the sort of...rabbit theme. Bunnies are good fun to animate and they have big squishy bodies.

moving on.
0:04
AHH!
the secondary motion again! same problem, but this time its happening in 3d space. You are overcompensating on the loin cloth. It should
a) try to remain in the same space it used to. When having it flap around always have it (at least initialy, while the body that is dragging it is still... dragging it) pointing towards its old position. On about a 2-3 frame delay until it can totally settle.

right now it is moving like crazy on that rotation.
This would almost be ok if it weren't for how little it moves in the rest of the animation.

now onto the kind of overarching problems in the primary motion.

Your spacing is erratic. This is something that you can only really get good at with time.
In regards to spacing.
Lets say you are drawing inbetweens.
FrameA
FrameB
frameC
FrameD
C on an ease in should be (AT MOST) as far from B as B is to A
and so on moving forward in the alphabet.
The opposite is obviously true of ease outs.

Let me say though, that if frame C is as far from B as A is to B then it will still look jittery if the distance between C and D is considerably smaller.

You want to do what it sounds like you should do.
EASE

anyways, you also have a good problem
Too many frames.
This is a good sign. It means you aren't lazy. But just because you aren't lazy, don't flex nuts so hard that motions look like they are in slo-mo.

Keep animating.
Probably move to 3d as soon as possible. ;)
and REALLY work on your drawing.

bonkanailios
06-18-2010, 02:27 PM
just looked at your portfolio. Nevermind about the drawing thing.
I mean we always need practice obviously but your illustrations look solid enough to be an animator.

oferkapota
06-18-2010, 04:10 PM
Well, thank you for your time and advice.
I cannot agree with you about the drawings, though. I chose this character not because it is appealing or non-appealing, but because it is simple to animate and turn around. At least for me. I concentrated on the movement, and animation, and not on the drawings, and that was my decision. This is an exercise. I guess in a year or two, Ill be able to draw fast and good just enough to incorporate it to my animation. But for now, these boxy stick figures allow me to animate without struggling with the drawing. And I really didn't invent this idea.

Thanks again.

bonkanailios
06-18-2010, 10:40 PM
it doesn't have to look bad in order to be easy to animate.
The geometric shapes don't look great. Next time around, maybe you could think about trying something a little more cuddly.

in my experience length of limbs almost invariably=increased difficulty animating.
No idea why. Might have to do with keeping track of proportions?
longer lines?

anyways, next time maybe you could try a more compact character with more volume?
These are often very rewarding, as they require less effort and give you more time to grapple with animation. Plus they are usually a much easier sell (lots of appeal)
Or you could keep animating geometric shapes.

CGTalk Moderation
06-18-2010, 10:40 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.