PDA

View Full Version : Best bind pose for body to model for animation

spiralof5
06-08-2010, 05:40 AM
Hi,

In college I was taught to model my character with both arms straight out (like a T). However, how can this be any good for animation? All of the muscles are not at rest so your muscular structure is in an isometric position (gravity pushes on the arms which causes your muscles to flex, even just a bit), which would carry out into your relaxed position. Wouldn't the optimal spot to model your bind pose be with arms at your side and totally relaxed so that later you can add your deformation in an isometric position?

What does everyone else do? I always though having your arms even semi flexed is bad since it would carry out into your relaxed position. It just seems backward to me.

Thanks,

Spiral

polyvin
07-29-2010, 05:05 AM
Ya the T-Pose isn't to great for most characters except maybe toon's since they don't high levels of muscle details. Personally i think the A-pose is the way to go, the pecs and delts are pretty relax but it gives you just enough room to get details in areas around the outer pecs and armpit that normally get covered when your arms are flat against your side.

dunkelzahn
09-08-2010, 08:49 AM
T-Pose used to be the charaacter standard for years. This was due to the fact that a T-Pose is easier for a MoCap performer to achieve than a A-Pose, making system calibration more precise.

Nowadays more an more people switch to a 45 degree arm A-pose. Itīs allows for good modelling and enables a quick rigging/skinning process.

A pose where arms rest at the side of the model might sound like a nice idea for modelling, but it will drive the rigging department up the wall, guys ;)

Have fun

Chris

iceycooly
09-29-2010, 09:35 AM
Dunkelzhan is right. If you model the character with the arms down, when you start to rig it, the bone influence might affect the thighs or the abdominal part. I model my character in a t-pose and just add shape-keys to fake muscle relaxing as the arms go down. :)

timothyc
11-06-2010, 04:51 AM
I always start animal and human models in the pose that is most familiar to me. That way it's easiest to tell if something looks right or not. Later on, I'll re-pose the limbs to make it better for rigging. For example, it's hard in a human T-pose to tell if the arms are the right length, but with the arms down by the torso's sides, it's easy. (It either "looks right" or else "there's something funny goin' on here".)

Another tip is to test the ratio of forearm / upperarm by temporarily bending the elbow joint to bring the wrist up to the shoulder. This way, any inaccuracy in the ratio of the 2 lengths will be doubled when you compare the relative locations of wrist to shoulder (inaccuracy doubled, therefore easy to see). Of course, then you have to straighten it again.

TC

CGTalk Moderation
11-06-2010, 04:51 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.