PDA

View Full Version : How to make this kind of effect

G.H.O.S.T
06-07-2010, 10:51 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvUGmfg2VCw&feature=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvUGmfg2VCw&feature=related)

Between 0.15 and 0.18 .
With particle goals and curves is very hard to calculate expression. Any idea?

ZeitG
06-07-2010, 06:43 PM
IMHO:

curve flow + texture emission + invert dynamic (in compositing) + compositing

jdj
06-08-2010, 10:21 AM
Most important of all; multiple particle objects. Don't try to do it all with one. Have (at least) one texture emitted particle stream that "peels" off from the car and (at least) one particle object that does the "windtunnel" effect.

If you have multiple particle objects for the same effect (for instance the windtunnel effect), you can tweak them all a little differently (use separate fields on each object), have different goal strategies (curve following, goal objects etc.) and render one as points, one as streaks etc. Then when you put it all together you will have a beautiful effect that cannot be achieved by using only one particle object.

You can see that there are "tendrils" of particles that move over the car and that the emitted particles gather in tendrils as well. I bet that each of those are at least one separate object who each follow a different curve. Then you need (at least) one particle object to add the 'chaotic' non-curve following 'haze' so that not all particles stick to curves.

And yes: render each object separately and comp in post; that way you can blend them together and fiddle with opacities in order to get the look just right.

Cheers!
/ Daniel

G.H.O.S.T
06-08-2010, 10:39 AM
Thank you guys.
Also I can use clouds(S/W) and fluidShape node as a texture.

jdj
06-08-2010, 11:13 AM
Whatever suits you.

Then, if you really want to go hardcore on this; do the setup via scripts. I.e. do:
- one procedure that sets up one tendril given a curve object as input (the script should then create the particle object etc.) for the windtunnel part.
- one procedure that sets up one tendril given a curve and the surface for the peeling part
- one procedure that creates a 'haze' particle
- etc.

Then you can have one base scene with a lot of curves and the peeling surface and automate the whole setup from that base scene (never overwrite this scene though).

If you don't like the effect you get, modify the script or its input parameters and re-run it. That way you can rig an enormous amount of particle systems in a very structured manner.

Just my $0.02
/ Daniel

CGTalk Moderation
06-08-2010, 11:13 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.