PDA

View Full Version : Making a Galaxy

vega777
09-17-2003, 10:43 PM
Can anyone suggest the best way to make a spiral galaxy that you can fly through? I would like it to show luminous spiral arms, dark dust lanes, some nebulosity, and star clouds.

I have seen examples on the Nova PBS show called "Runaway Universe," but they use supercomputers.

Could I make a galaxy using Maya Fluids or do I need to combine it with other modeling methods such as particles and paint? Are there any tutorials available?

Thank you.

stallion151
09-18-2003, 06:25 AM
try some of the paintFX brushes. you can fly through those.
also try painting particles.

seb4d
09-18-2003, 09:44 AM
Use the paint particles tools and draw a star with several branches and a draw a big core at the center. Then apply a vortex field and turn the particle's conserve attribute to 0 or something, hit play and when the particles look like a swirling galaxy just choose Initial State and delete the field.

maxx10
09-18-2003, 05:08 PM
Here:

galaxy.mb (http://www.highend3d.com/files/dl.3d?group=mayashaders&file_loc=gal-v3.1-.mb&file_id=2287)

the spirals are a tad blurry and doesn't work too well for extreme closeups and you might want to add a big glowy cluster in the middle

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.