PDA

View Full Version : Physical geometry modifier that functions like mia_roundcorners?

mwgriffin
06-06-2010, 07:36 AM
I know that mia_roundcorners rounds the corners on the geometry that it is applied to at render time. I am curious if there is a physical counterpart that actually modifies the geometry. I feel like most likely there is not, but I hope you prove me wrong. If there is not something like that, what is the feasibility of programing something like that? I anticipate your response!

cgbeige
06-06-2010, 09:00 PM
how about a bevel?

mwgriffin
06-06-2010, 09:40 PM
Haha. I know a bevel would round the edges of an object. What I'm talking about is mia_roundcorners's ability to round geometry between different objects. A bevel does not have this capability. This can be seen in this example from the maya documentation:

http://download.autodesk.com/us/maya/2011help/mr/shaders/architectural/images/round-off.jpg

http://download.autodesk.com/us/maya/2011help/mr/shaders/architectural/images/round-on.jpg

I would be interested in working with someone on developing a tool that would be able to replicate this feature physically. Would anyone be interested in using this kind of tool? I personally would find it useful, but would people use it instead of just mia_roundcorners?

Kev3D
06-07-2010, 02:44 AM
The problem that I think you'll find is that you'll end up 'breaking' the clean modeled geometry like boolean operations do.

mwgriffin
06-07-2010, 11:36 AM
Yeah that's why to a certain extent I didn't think that it was feasible. It's too bad that there aren't more intelligent tools out there that can do operations like booleans or something like this, without messing up the geometry.

Htogrom
06-09-2010, 12:42 PM
I think only with renderman you can do that. But, it requires writing custom shader anyway.

lightcache
06-09-2010, 02:55 PM
yeah its pretty easy todo in renderman with csg

wilsimar
06-09-2010, 07:33 PM
use nurbs surface fillet..

CGTalk Moderation
06-09-2010, 07:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.