PDA

View Full Version : Animation Challenge

Splinter
06-05-2010, 05:47 PM
Hi everyone!!!

I, like the rest of you, really miss the challenge. So what is going to happen for the rest of this month, is a little planning and construction to prepare for the month of July. See you all real soon :D

ForbidSteel
06-06-2010, 09:50 PM
Hey, I'm new here,

So I was just wondering if 2D animation is allowed in the competitions, I would love to learn 3D but for now my expertise lie in 2D,
Would it be acceptable to use it?

Thanks a lot, really looking forward to do some challenges :)

Splinter
06-07-2010, 03:51 AM
2-D is definitely allowed. When we start up again in July, please feel free to post your entry in 2-D.

Welcome to the community ForbidSteel!!!

ForbidSteel
06-07-2010, 03:58 PM
Thanks Splinter,

I look forward to doing these, so, if I may inquire, what do you have planned? From brain-farts to full blown plans?

Splinter
06-08-2010, 12:11 AM
In the past I've tried a couple of different approaches to constructing the Animation-Mini Challenge. I really like the idea of having an audio and a non-audio option available. I'm going to keep that, but we missed out on a month or so. With that in mind I am trying to come up with something cool to start off the month of July.

In other words I don't really know just yet, but I do have some ideas, Lol

Majere
06-08-2010, 03:45 PM
ok, so maybe the audio should be some sound effects? or a voice? and if it is a voice, how long should it be so I can start looking for some good ones?

Here's some ideas I'll throw out there: Picking up a box and throwing it, climbing something laboriously, talking/yelling on the phone, Surprise! (a character being surprised), showing off, running and tripping on something.

I'm sure I can come up with more, but not really sure what direction this is headed. I'm just excited to do the mini-challenge again!

ForbidSteel
06-08-2010, 07:19 PM
Hey as long as we're suggesting ideas, I feel the challenges really need to be fun! (duhh) so something like 'animate a walk-cycle' while good for practice is just not so fun, however simply add in another key-word like 'animate a 1-legged person walk-cycle' could really add things and make people think. Or choose a very broad subject, an example being the current 'weekly challenge 5' drunk is such a broad spectrum but it also such a fun topic, so many funny things can happen when just the word 'drunk' is the only specification.

If you have MSN Splinter, I'd be happy to add you and discuss ideas further, after-all two people can come up with something better than one, if not, no worries.

Take it easy.

ForbidSteel

Leebies
06-09-2010, 09:49 AM
I can't wait for this, :D
Just came on here to ask when we would get a challenge, and low and behold there it is.
I usaually work with mocap data, but love to key frame when i get a chacne, bring on july :D

rhinton
06-09-2010, 03:04 PM
Where would one get the models and rigs for these said Challenges?
Or is that apart of the Challenge itself?

kbetter
06-09-2010, 03:39 PM
Rhinton, I was looking for rigs myself today, and luckily CG Society has a lot of resources available in the forums :) Here is a thread from the GenTech > Animation forum with lots of free rigs to choose from!

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=26&t=190975

Looking forward to a challenge soon!

rhinton
06-09-2010, 08:57 PM
Thank you very much!
I'll have to start looking around some more!

Splinter
06-11-2010, 06:19 PM
I think that we are off to a good start for the month of July. Keep up the enthusiasm everyone!!! I can't wait to see what next month is going to look like.

Just to keep everyone in the know I will definitely have a audio clip ready for next month. I think it would be a good idea if I provide the audio. That way everyone gets it at the same time and there won't be anyone a head on the project, Lol.

As for ideas on the non-audio topic keep the ideas flowing. I will right down that list and show those ideas as we progress through out the month.

@rhinton - The link that kbetter gave you is a great place to find your rigs. You can also use a search engine and find some really good ones. There are lot of really good ones all over the net.

freakbaba
06-14-2010, 05:55 AM
I think that we are off to a good start for the month of July. Keep up the enthusiasm everyone!!! I can't wait to see what next month is going to look like.

Just to keep everyone in the know I will definitely have a audio clip ready for next month. I think it would be a good idea if I provide the audio. That way everyone gets it at the same time and there won't be anyone a head on the project, Lol.

As for ideas on the non-audio topic keep the ideas flowing. I will right down that list and show those ideas as we progress through out the month.

@rhinton - The link that kbetter gave you is a great place to find your rigs. You can also use a search engine and find some really good ones. There are lot of really good ones all over the net.

Nice...hopefully July will be the first time I start taking these sessions, but not the last! :-)

I agree with Splinter on taking the lead for the audio part...as we need one common audio for all and its better if the moderators post the audio to be fair to all.

As for rigs, there are a lot of free good rigs...for example, check this link -

http://animationbuffet.blogspot.com/

See you all around!

Leebies
06-14-2010, 10:05 AM
Is this gonna be software specific challenge, for example we can only use Maya or Max?
or is it a free choice ?

Splinter
06-15-2010, 03:06 AM
...as we need one common audio for all and its better if the moderators post the audio to be fair to all.

My sentiments exactly freakbaba :)

Is this gonna be software specific challenge, for example we can only use Maya or Max? or is it a free choice ?

You can animate in any software you wish. 2-D can also be an option if you so choose.

CGTalk Moderation
06-15-2010, 03:06 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.