PDA

View Full Version : fix joint orient after skinning

nemeru
06-05-2010, 11:08 AM
Hey guys, I need to know if it's possible to fix joint orientation after skinning? I knew I oriented the fingers fine before i skinned, but apparently, somewhere along the path i needed to orient something else on the hand, chose the whole hierarchy and used the comet tools on that, so it prolly got messed up again.
I was dumb enough to realize the wrong orientation of the fingers now, when I have everything else weighted, the muscle system set up, the rest of the character rigged, and so on...

I'm looking for a solution that wouldnt involve detaching the skin, since I think that would cause more pain than good.

I just thought of an idea - make guide joints for the fingers, which would have the right orientation, and then parent constraint them with maintaining offset. I'll see if this will fly, am gonna try it now...

tpalamar
06-07-2010, 05:16 PM
You can by using the Move Skinned Joints tool. Enter the tool and then apply your Orient options.

thematt
06-07-2010, 07:28 PM
really!! didn't know that one..good one Sir. thanks

nemeru
06-07-2010, 07:49 PM
thanks man, i was afraid of that tool, so i did it the painful way, i already have guide bones with correct orient for the fingers with parent constrain and maintained offset.. it's a pain, but i gotta make an animation by the end of the week, so i have no time to fiddle around with details...

thanks for the tip tho, will use it in the future...

CGTalk Moderation
06-07-2010, 07:49 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.