PDA

View Full Version : why use a null as a camera controller?

Kayzer
06-04-2010, 07:02 PM
Hey..

i often see people making a 3d null object, while working in a sequence which involves a 3d space, and parent their camera to that null.

now - what is the reason they do that instead of using the camera itself?

plus, where can i read about the differences between all of the cameras? (35mm, 50mm, etc..)

thanks!

l2k
06-04-2010, 08:19 PM
so that you can control the camera in view, with the move arrows of the null object.

Kayzer
06-05-2010, 08:02 AM
Ok.. Is that the only reason?

republicavfx
06-06-2010, 05:33 PM
the other reason is that it gives you another pivot for offset animations. so you can animate the null then if u need to pull the camera back while maintaining the same general animation you can add animation to the camera while leaving the null as is. its very flexible

i think of it as an old fashioned way of animation layers. i use this technique all the time in maya for camera and find it more immediate than using animation layers

Iaenic
06-07-2010, 04:32 PM
It's also pretty handy for focusing on layers in 3d space. You can send the null object to the position of the 3d layer, and then rotate the camera around it freely. Video Copilots Sure Target plugin is great for this, and uses a Null>Camera setup for it.

CGTalk Moderation
06-07-2010, 04:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.