PDA

View Full Version : Texturing fractures

brainycomp
06-03-2010, 09:50 PM
I have a scene that im trying to finish up where a statue crumbles. All i have to do is texture it...

How do I select the faces of multiple fractured pieces all at once and apply a projection so the texturing is seamless?

brainycomp
06-07-2010, 04:18 PM
So...I've been going at this but still no luck. I feel like its something real simple too. :banghead:

derMarkus
06-07-2010, 05:09 PM
I think you can just switch to component/faces mode and select the faces, or not? And then apply the projection you want to. Or do i misunderstand something?

brainycomp
06-07-2010, 06:17 PM
That works for a single object but not multiple... I want to select the faces of multiple objects all at once and than apply the projection. Do I have to group them maybe?

brainycomp
06-07-2010, 06:17 PM
Every time I choose to select faces, it only allows it on the selected object..

derMarkus
06-07-2010, 06:33 PM
Try to switch to component mode by hitting F11.

Or hover over your first object, rightclick, goto "faces", release mousebutton, select your faces, hover over next object, rightclick again, goto faces, select the faces on that object and so on. Works for me.

brainycomp
06-07-2010, 07:11 PM
ok...i feel like a dummy. I knew it was something easy. Thank you. Do you know if there is any way to enable faces on all objects at once?

What you said works great but its going to take forever to do it for every shard that breaks off the statue...

:thumbsup:

derMarkus
06-07-2010, 08:22 PM
Yes. Try to select everything and switch to component mode for faces with f11. Then you can select all faces aon all objects at once ;)

brainycomp
06-08-2010, 05:30 AM
Thanks derMarkus. I tried f11 and it selects all faces on all objects like you said but what would be great is if i can simply chose "to select" the faces on all the geometry, rather than actually selecting them all.

Hope that made sense...

derMarkus
06-08-2010, 07:26 AM
Thats's exactly what it does here... Hit F11, click on the object you want and select the faces you want. Click on the next object and select the next faces.

brainycomp
06-08-2010, 02:38 PM
ok...I think I know the problem. im on a mac and the f11 key isn't working how it's supposed to.

ill have to research this online and see how to fix it.

Where can I find the option in the menus? Maybe that way I can just click it if I can't get the f11 key to work.

Thanks for all your help!

arkanoid
06-09-2010, 01:59 PM
Why don't you simply Combine all your pieces? Then you can use Select by Constraint (maybe with Orientation) and use that selection as a base, then add with Paint Selection. Then do your projection, and Separate once again.

brainycomp
06-09-2010, 02:20 PM
Actually, I wasn't aware that could be done.

Can you really combine a mesh, texture it, and than separate it without disrupting the texture?

brainycomp
06-09-2010, 04:04 PM
Nice, that's crazy helpful. Thanks! Itll be really helpful to know this for future projects.

not really sure why my reply to you appears before yours...weird.

CGTalk Moderation
06-09-2010, 04:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

arkanoid
06-09-2010, 04:07 PM
Sure, when you Separate every shall (pieces of separate geometry from the same object) will conserve their UVs. Then you can apply different shaders to those (or the same shader). Talking about uv layout not texturing. When you have your uvs set up you can choose how to texture.