PDA

View Full Version : Hurley Rocks even more now!

proton
09-17-2003, 02:23 PM
Hairspray....Patch it....and now this:

Custom Null is a custom object plugin that allows you to use your LW object data to create custom null objects

http://www.hurleyworks.com/CustomNull/custom.html

Facial Deluxe
09-17-2003, 02:27 PM
Not sure to understand. Kind of instance ??

Remi
09-17-2003, 02:28 PM
Hey Proton...i'm a little confused....so you can load an object onto a null and it won't read it as geometry...or what? Sorry for the dumb question....I can see where that would be valuable if you have more than one char or a oversized scene....but is that what it does....it just reads the null and not the geom. Thanks for any info...:)

proton
09-17-2003, 02:37 PM
it allows you ot use any object as a null object...custom nulls. Your not limited to the basic shapes anymore :)

Best use so far for me has been on chgaracter rigs...if you want to have a foot shape for a foot null u can :)

Remi
09-17-2003, 02:39 PM
Downloading now.....:) can you make it so those custom objects render?:)

proton
09-17-2003, 02:46 PM
why would u want a null object to render?

xtrm3d
09-17-2003, 03:01 PM
ggrrrrmpppfff...
i am abit upset to see that mr hurley.. is using some model from the model pack 6.. to demonstrate his tool..

i know that he dont sell the model.. but i asked in the acompagning txt data .. to not use them without my knowledge and acreditation for any comercial stuff.... and he use them for a demo of a comercial stuff ... right ?

he did not even gave any credit for the modelling.. :-(
just sended him a private mail about this.. and i am really curious to see his reaction..

humm ? no i dont hate him... everyone can do mistack.. me the first ..by the way.. his plugin .. are really ..realyy great !!
so a null object replacement his a cool stuff when you have to give your rig away to someon else to animate..someting a small custome object is way better as any explication

aurora
09-17-2003, 03:15 PM
Hey xtrm3d, I just went to take alook at it and He has already changed the site to give you create for the models. Can't wait to try this out.

proton
09-17-2003, 03:42 PM
Xtrm...Hurley gave you credit on image.....He's a great guy and I saw this as a way to help promote you.....All is good. :thumbsup:

proton
09-17-2003, 03:45 PM
here is a quick setup

Mikko
09-17-2003, 04:07 PM
Hmm this might be a very stupid question but; Why is this different to parenting a custom object to your null? Or is this what the plug does?

.mikko

Remi
09-17-2003, 04:15 PM
Say I want the custom object to be a tree....but I don't want the geom to slow the scene down....something like that perhaps....is that possible...?

proton
09-17-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Mikko
Hmm this might be a very stupid question but; Why is this different to parenting a custom object to your null? Or is this what the plug does?

.mikko

then you have two objects instead of just one

xtrm3d
09-17-2003, 08:53 PM
yeahh..yeahh... hes a great guy.. i never doubted about that :-)

just that i was a bit upset abou t seeing my model without credit

but no stress.. evrithing is going smooth..
sended him a private mail.. and he cleared the issue.. :-)

:thumbsup:

SplineGod
09-17-2003, 09:17 PM
Think of custom objects as 3D Icons. Theyre there to help you visually find something quickly/easily rather then see lots of floating cross hair like nulls all over the place. :)

Fasty
09-17-2003, 10:42 PM
If people didn't want other people to use their models I wish they would not give them away in such a manner. :annoyed:

CG.p
09-17-2003, 10:49 PM
This would be more impressive if the lscript docs didn't have a sample that creates a custom null script from a lwo.

SplineGod
09-17-2003, 10:59 PM
Lol, yes it would be. This however doesnt detract from Steves general rockability. :)

yog
09-18-2003, 12:00 AM
Another use for such a custom Null.
Some plug-ins use a certain axis of a Null (often positive-Z) to influence an effect, the first to spring to mind is the wind generator in Sasquatch (but there are many others), so instead of trying to work out which arm of the standard Null is positive-Z you can use a big non-rendering arrow to give you instant feedback on the direction of influence.

kretin
09-18-2003, 12:49 AM
K, might be a stoopid question, but what's the difference between just using an object, and using this plug?

I can see that it doesn't use any object memory, but surely OpenGL still has to move the points so it wouldn't be any faster than using an object would it?

And if there's a sample lscript that does this, why is Steve selling this plug instead of offering it as a freebie? What does the plug do that the sample lscript doesn't?

SplineGod
09-18-2003, 01:53 AM
I guess its the fact that the special shapes dont render. Ive used
regular objects as my own special shapes but had to go in and make sure they didnt render etc etc. I would also think that it would as you said, be an opengl hit.

kretin
09-18-2003, 01:58 AM
Can't be just that... as you say, it's easy to set an object to not render, or cast shadows, etc...

jb_gfx
09-18-2003, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by kretin
K, might be a stoopid question, but what's the difference between just using an object, and using this plug?

I can see that it doesn't use any object memory, but surely OpenGL still has to move the points so it wouldn't be any faster than using an object would it?

There is no difference except than a few less clicks. But that's true you can use an object parented to a Null (or not) and make it invisble to the render.

And this plugin DO uses memory and CPU ressource so from this point of view there is NO difference except you will no see this extra ressources usage in the stat window (is it really an advantage?).

And if there's a sample lscript that does this, why is Steve selling this plug instead of offering it as a freebie? What does the plug do that the sample lscript doesn't?

The script is for modeler in fact. You run it and it will convert your model in foreground layer into a ready to use LScript for layout. That's the main difference.

CG.p
09-18-2003, 03:51 AM
Originally posted by SplineGod
Lol, yes it would be. This however doesnt detract from Steves general rockability. :)

This is true.

CG.p
09-18-2003, 03:55 AM

You would model custom controls like arrows handles proxy stuff... This type of stuff is great for rigging controls.

I'm sure Steve's DOES do more than the sample. For one thing you run the sample to creat the script. Steve's must have a file requestor that reads a file and displays the geometry as a custom null.

jb_gfx
09-18-2003, 04:27 AM
Originally posted by CG.p
I'm sure Steve's DOES do more than the sample. For one thing you run the sample to creat the script. Steve's must have a file requestor that reads a file and displays the geometry as a custom null.

That's true, Hurley's plugin is much more elaborated in a coding point of view, still this product's interest is very limited and not that far in term of usage from the free script provided in Lscript's user manual. But wait and see maybe it will be cheap.

And no that doesn't change the fact that Mr Hurley is a very good developer.

policarpo
09-18-2003, 05:04 AM
Anyone know when PatchIT will be released?

T4D
09-18-2003, 07:56 AM
that's a top plugin Thanks Proton :thumbsup:
i usual make uses of item shape nulls for hands and feet and create a hip and waist objects to animate with and kill the render values

but this is better :applause:

xtrm3d
09-18-2003, 10:14 AM
If people didn't want other people to use their models I wish they would not give them away in such a manner.

@ fasty..
your post hurt a lot man.. :shame:
please have a look at :http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=836184#post836184

and take position.. thx
chris

Julez4001
09-18-2003, 01:58 PM
Hate to say it but this plugin, looks like icandy for LW to go tit-4-tat with Messiah's armature which does more than just look good in your viewport, my personal opinion. Also it doesn't take a opengl hit when using 3d objects and you can use images as well taht show up in different angles in the viewport.:rolleyes:

But all plugins for lw are good for lightwave.

ngrava
09-18-2003, 06:02 PM
I don't mean any disrespect of offense to any of the partes in this thread but... You've always been able to do this with objects. Just set them to "Unseen by camera and turn off the shadow options. I used to put big "L" and "R" IK goals on my character's feet all the time. Another thing I would do is make a circle object for Rotate and a cross with arrows for the translate and parent objects to them in order to have separate channels. That was back in the days before custom object plugins. Now a days I'm to lazy or busy to make custom objects for like that.

-=GB=-

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.