PDA

View Full Version : Photoreal Visualization

Scene88
06-02-2010, 09:23 PM
Hello everyone, I have been a fan of these forums for years and have finaly got round to posting something up. This is an attempt at a photoreal office interior. Any crits regarding lighting, texturing, composition etc would be greatly appreciated.

3ds Max, Vray, Photoshop

http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/tt299/mattreid88/ArchViz/Render01.jpg

Many Thanks

ganzo
06-03-2010, 08:51 PM
http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/9436/render01.jpg

There are some problems with the contact shadow of the chairs legs under sunlight. Shadow under the sofa is a bit too dark for my taste..its up to taste of course. Not sure volumetric light rays work well. And I think there is too much AO on the wall column.

Scene88
06-05-2010, 10:23 AM
Hi ganzo.

Thanks for the reply, I agree that the shadow under the sofa may be a little harsh and will look into changing some of the other points you made. Do you have any thoughts regarding the hue and contrast within the image? Im not sure if the image looks a bit too pale.

thanks

kanooshka
06-06-2010, 04:00 PM
My biggest critique would be that the backplate doesn't match the lighting of your scene. It looks like the sun is pretty much the opposite direction.

All the issues that ganzo pointed out are very valid and clearly will need to be fixed.

As for the color palette of the image, I think it works very well.

Munjeni
06-07-2010, 04:22 AM
Hi there. First, my apologies for the long post, but, hey, you asked for it. ;)

You seem to have a problem with the model itself. Check the window frames, especially where they meet the collumns. If you were going for the standard frame, then the windows would have visible frames alongside the columns.

Also, if the windows can be opened, then the frames would be a bit wider, and they would have some sort of guide rail. They also probably need some protection against direct sunlight, since working in a glass box wouldn't be a pleasant experience...

Sorry, but a background in architecture makes me a bit sensitive to these things.

As for lighting, the shadows under the chairs are a bit weird, and the corners have a bit too much vignetting for my taste. What is your shadow bounce count?

The hue seems just a bit washed out. Maybe putting a bit more colour into the lights, yellow for direct, and a slight bluish hue for the ambient would go a long way. Sunlight is never completely white, and judging by the sun angle, it's about 3-4 PM, when the natural yellowish hue of the sun starts getting quite pronounced. Are you using a Vray Physical Sky, or are you faking it with directionals? A physical sky and sun tend to be very realistic in hue once you set them up properly.

All in all, great work so far, now all that's left are the tiny details...

dboydesign
06-13-2010, 10:36 PM
Hi,

A lot is already been told, but I give it a try.

Everything is overexposed, is too bright and a lot of details and stuff are being burned out.
As said earlier a lot of stuff are missing contact shadows, try too render out a AO pass only for closer contact shadows.
Your metal/chrome materials are not working, they are too bright and it reveals the cg image instead of make us see it as photography. I would try to not have 100% reflection at all, maybe you can try 70% chrome with some black/gray/blueish in it. Also a hint of blurred chrome on some different items. Try to use almost the same material but with something that makes it different.
I think its the same principle as using instances in geometry. If you have a tree, don`t put 10 of them on a row without tweaking them.

I also think that rays are not working here, rays are a result of dust in the air and the room looks pretty clean and I just don't believe it :)

The texture/material on the couch also could need some tweaking, or perhaps it`s the model. It looks so stiff and hard. ( I believe this is an evermotion model? nothing bad about it but they need som tweaking to work in some scenes.) I think you could try to make a more cloth friendly shader.

I find the image pretty gray and not interesting to look at, (this could be just a personal taste) I found out that putting some colors in your scene can do magic with your image. Example: try add a orange color that repeats it self in different places. Say all the chairs are orange and you have a plant that have some orange and stuff like that. Or theres a building out side that have a turquoise color, then add some turquoise colors to some details in your scene.

All this are minor tweaks, but in the end this could do the trick :)

sundialsvc4
06-21-2010, 05:55 PM
You know, if I were the photographer doing this shot in the real world, I would be here at a different time of day, in a different part of the room, with a different lens. And I would be saying, in my most diplomatic voice, "what if we move that thing over here? Can we please do that?" If the answer is "no," then I would be very methodically working my way around the room with what used to be my Polaroid, looking for the best way to make the best of a very difficult situation. (I'd be shooting the final with my 4x5 view camera, of course.)

This shot is very hot, with several over-exposed areas, and a number of other visual issues like reflections on the inside of the glass which (though they may well be intentional) simply add visual clutter to an already very-cluttered scene.

I would come back in the early morning, or late in the evening. I would want the light to be gentle, and warmer, and not so intense as to wash-out the scene.

I would also redo the composition. As you can see, this scene as-composed contains a triangular arrangement that throws my eye straight toward that column, only to skid slightly to the left on that bright shadow and z-i-i-i-i-p-p! right out the window and into an overexposed, murky day. The two "subjects" of visual interest are on the left and right sides, and neither of them stands a chance. The desk on the left (with its computer monitor that seems to be facing the wrong way) is mashed into the cabinet. The one on the right causes my eye to s-k-i-i-p-p! right off of that glossy tabletop and go sailing right out the other window! It really does not have a clear subject. There is no clear "path" that my eye can take through this composition.

I think you need to recompose this shot, considering the placement of everything in the room, the camera position (and lens, currently much too wide) and the apparent time of day. Leave the models alone. I just don't think that you can salvage a compelling piece of CG work out of this set-up. It would never work as a real-world photograph, and I suggest that it can't work as a CG image, basically for the same reasons (that have very little to do with CG).

Or maybe I can tempt you with this thought: if you do carefully reconsider this scene "as a photograph," your efforts will be rewarded with a considerably better and more pleasing result. The weakness of this scene isn't the rendering, so much as it is the design of the photograph itself.

mister3d
06-22-2010, 09:07 AM
Frankly speaking, I don't see it as bad as many here say. Despite the wrong orientation of the lightsource on the back, the only major crit I would make a monitor will never be even close in brightness to daylight. And it will be blueish.
Overexposure is not welcome in archviz, as it's kind of a scheme to show the materials and such, but it looks realistic here. I mean, c'mon take a photo in the outdoors in the sunlight and you will see what I mean.

CGTalk Moderation
06-22-2010, 09:07 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.