PDA

View Full Version : UV Mapping

waterblue
09-17-2003, 09:25 AM
Hello Blender gurus

The feature/process of creating UV Maps for meshes should be so VERY simple; I find it very frustrating in Blender that the merrely only way to apply a UV map, for instance onto a game character, is by selecting the individual faces, load the picture/texture onto that/them, and then shape the faces accordingly to how it should fit with the texture...

now, why cant you export a wired UV map of the entire mesh, with all the faces flattened out, for instance of a game character, paint over it in photoshop as a texturemap, load the new over-painted UV map into Blender, and select ALL faces, and apply the new texturemap...

Years back, as many did, I started out fooling around with Bryce and Poser, and I refer to a similar process to apply full texturemaps - correct me if im wrong, but many artists in here are posting 3d character models with entire texturemaps of thiere models - it is those type of texturemaps im curries about, why I cant get to use with in Blender

ok - what I seek, is a way to paint over an exportet UV map of my mesh in photoshop, save the painted map, and project it back onto my mesh....and Voila!! it fits.... :applause:

Am I realy talking noncence here?? :surprised

cheers

Kartoffel
09-17-2003, 02:26 PM
Well, you can unwrap the model, make a screenshot of the unwrapped faces an use this as a background wen you are painting the texture, can't you?

And here is a tutorial for creating UV-maps in blender, maybe that helps you to make things more easy:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jmandmc/uvtut/uvtut.html

Zenitor
09-17-2003, 02:43 PM
*cough*

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84904

waterblue
09-17-2003, 02:54 PM
*cough* *cough* *cough*..oh, that damn cold...

Ive checked it out, and it seems like unwrapping it with UV mapper is the thing to use...im trying it out when I get home.

Thanks!

Apollux
09-17-2003, 06:10 PM
waterblue. where did you hear that you can't do what you are asking in Blender? Whoever told you that is totally out of his mind!!

I already posted how to do it, it is on the "Cool Things in Blender" thread.

In a nutshell, you asign mutiple materials to your model, for instance, you asing one material for the legs and another material for the face.. etc. etc. etc..

Then you go to face-select mode, open an image window and from face-select mode you switch into edit mode.

Now that you are in edit mode you can use the materials you already defined as face selection templates for the UV-Unwrapping.... pretty much like in any other UV-Unwrapping program.

(If you were able to asing multiple materials on the first place then you also know how to use those materials for selecting faces on the mesh, don' t you?)

After you are done with un-wrapping, maximize the image window (that by now has the 2D template of your entire model and do an screen-capture from it (or use a script written by Theet that saves a Targa right from the template).

That template you can open in Photoshop, Gimp, MS-Paint or whatever you use to create the texture of your model.

waterblue
09-17-2003, 06:22 PM
rh, daaaaaamn....I just got my hopes up high.:banghead:

It is cool enough that you have the possebility too asign different textures to the faces you select...but, however, I find extreemly tedious to assign a texture for one leg, and the other, the head etc...

but, correct me if im wrong, what you are saying is this:

I can make a UV map of my entire character, and use the python script you mentioned, paint over, and load it back onto the entire mesh, without having to assign one tex for the leg, one for the other, etc...right!? oh please say im right..:sad:

Apollux
09-17-2003, 06:33 PM
YOU ARE TOTALLY RIGHT !!!:thumbsup:

The thing about asigning multiple materials is a shorcut, so that you don't have to manually select faces when you are un-wrapping a mesh.

1.- If you select faces by hand you loose a lot of time.
2.- If you select faces by hand you could accidentally left faces un-mapped, and those are hard to notice when working on Face-Select mode.
3.- If you select faces by hand you could accidentally re-map and already mapped face, and by doing so you are spoiling both the new and the old mapping.
4.- If you select faces by hand then you will have a hell of a time moving the different parts around the template.

Besides, how is that you find tedious asigning diferent materials? You don' t need to create "true" render-quality materials.... even diferent shades of a basic color will do the job. At the end you will delete those materials, so don' t spend to much time developing them. If you can easily visualize un-asigned faces with the material then it is good enough.

waterblue
09-17-2003, 06:47 PM
Oh joy, Im happy again:D

Well, I only find it tedious because im doing a texturing job on a game character, and, to paint/design the characters clothes, face, fur, etc. by splitting the UV Map up in into each bodypart, Instead of just painting over an entire map and load it onto the character, that would spoil the creative process of painting the texture...maybe its just because im a newbye to 3d modeling..donno..

..but still, would it work if I used UV mapper Classic and Unwrapped the character, textured it, and loaded the map into Blender?

Byt the way, I have used the muttiple assigning feature in the editor on some walls with ornaments and stuff - it came quite in handy using that feature in that case..so, its not because I dont understand the purpose of the feature, but when it comes down to character modeling, I prefer working on one single map, as if you can pay more attention to details that way..

do you now of a visual tutorial concerning my specific UV Mapping subject??

Apollux
09-18-2003, 05:22 AM
Originally posted by waterblue
.. by splitting the UV Map up in into each bodypart, Instead of just painting over an entire map and load it onto the character, that would spoil the creative process of painting the texture...maybe its just because im a newbye to 3d modeling..donno..

.. but when it comes down to character modeling, I prefer working on one single map, as if you can pay more attention to details that way.

Humm... seems we are not transmiting on the same wavelengh :) The method that I gave you will produce a SINGLE wire/uv template with you mesh flaten out on it. Then you can paint all your textures on that template... isn't it what you are asking for?

The point with multiple materials is to have finer control on how the different parts of your character are flatened. For example: you migh want to use cilindrical projection on the arms and legs, but spherical projection on the head and maybe from the window projection for the torso and back.

For this alien (http://www.freewebz.com/apollux/galleryfinishedwork.htm) i used the technique I just told you and I bet you can't find any noticeable texture seam on him. ;) ( and before you ask, no, that is not a procedural texture, all thoses spot on his skin are hand-painted and uv-mapped ).

..but still, would it work if I used UV mapper Classic and Unwrapped the character, textured it, and loaded the map into Blender?

Yes, you can un-wrap in another tool and then import into blender. Just make sure that you save your uv-mapped mesh in a format that can preserve UV information and that Blender can import. I think that VRML is a good choice for that.

do you now of a visual tutorial concerning my specific UV Mapping subject??

Besides the ones that other has pointed, in my opinion this tutorial (http://membres.lycos.fr/bobois/Tuts/uvmapping/uvmapping01.html) is the most complete when it comes to UV mapping and Blender, but funny enough, it doesn't speak of UV-Unwrapping as a separate step.

This other tutorial (http://otothegardener.free.fr/tutorials/LittleOTO/littleoto2/littleoto2.htm) goes on the specific of UV-Unwrapping for low-poly game characters, but it uses the manual face selection technique.... so you have to be VERY precise with it or you will end with a huge mess and will have to start over.

waterblue
09-18-2003, 09:06 AM
We are talking about the same, and the last tutorial you linked to is exactly what I was looking for to solve all my troubles - tanks alot, now im on the right track:scream:

Im sorry for the misleading in my question - we where talking about the same, but I got confused...think ive had too much on my mind lately...

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.