PDA

View Full Version : Gesture drawing tips.

redpandafire
06-01-2010, 01:58 PM
I've been struggling with these 1-3 minute gesture poses. I'm a traditional person and I draw with negative space, continous line, angles and so on. but with gesture I cant seem to keep up! My lines break because I pause to calculate negative space every 2 seconds, and my result is chicken scratch.

I tried without any thinking involved and the proportions are WAY blown out. I got girls with HE MAN arms, and tiny scrawny goat legs, etc.

Is there ANY tip to help with this problem?

I draw with newsprint and china marker, just fyi.

Lunatique
06-02-2010, 11:45 AM
Do you have examples of your failed attempts? It always helps when you post failed attempts so we can see what you did wrong.

redpandafire
06-02-2010, 12:02 PM
Do you have examples of your failed attempts? It always helps when you post failed attempts so we can see what you did wrong.

I scanned all my attempts yesterday in more-or-less chronological order in this thread: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=6541832

My problem is seeing the entire figure in terms of curves. I'm an angles and negative space person and its hella difficult to lose those rules and just go with gut feeling! You can probably see how scratchy the first few figures are because of my hesitation...

In the end it wasn't so bad as I got more and more warmed up, but I feel theres so much room for improvement. I want to get deep, flowy lines that are more indicative of gesture lines.

Thanks for replying!

Whirlwind123
06-02-2010, 12:23 PM
just replied to this in your sketchbook thread .. hope that's ok :)

redpandafire
06-02-2010, 12:27 PM
just replied to this in your sketchbook thread .. hope that's ok :)

It was a very informative reply! I appreciate it. It made me think of black lines swirling in 3D space. Very inspiring indeed. Thanks!

Whirlwind123
06-02-2010, 12:29 PM
no problem :) although if you saw my own work you would be more reluctant to listen to me :P

cgaddictworld
06-18-2010, 07:05 AM
I recommend studying Vilppu's techniques - there's a lot of emphasis on gesture and I had some really great results studying his works: http://www.vilppustore.com/

CGTalk Moderation
06-18-2010, 07:05 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.