PDA

View Full Version : Pharlap. Robotic Equine-Inspired ATV.

kwark
06-01-2010, 02:59 PM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/nvart/419223_1275400769/680bound
(http://assets.cgsociety.org/nvart/419223_1275400769/1024bound)Hey CGsociety,

On the inspiration page, I drew the most inspiration from this part of Syd's writing:

"I gained an appreciation of the balance between organic and mechanical and the symbiotic enhancement that results. My designs reflect this subtle dynamic still."

I basically took the most literal meaning I could from that line, applied it to a few ideas I already had - and went wild. I really enjoyed concepting a naturally inspired, but functional mode of transport. The technological progression of ATV's has generally been more focused on smarter navigation and energy consumption rather than efficient or new methods of crossing unfriendly terrain. Current technology is based on the wheel or dirt/snow tread, both of which are have very limited capabilities when it comes to traversing tricky terrain quickly.

The logical step was to develop an ATV technology based on something that was naturally occuring and efficient in its movement, an animal that could navigate tricky terrain with minimal effort - the wild horse.

'Pharlap' is a basic metalic exoskeleton utilising a proprietary mobility system that simulates the musculature of a real horse to generate movement. The artificial muscles are built of an immensely strong silicon rubber/carbon fibre combination that react dramatically to an applied electrical surge. These surges are controlled and eventually automated to produce a series of coordinated movements that contract or expand the 'muscles', producing motion. Due to the lack of moving parts, Pharlap doesn't suffer from the heat related failures that most vehicles in its class experience.

I used Maya and and Photoshop.

Thanks to cgs for the awesome comp and judges.

Gl everyone :)

TCPortfolio
06-01-2010, 05:24 PM
Really unique concept!

madone01
06-01-2010, 06:41 PM
how big is it , i hope its big really big cool looking dog

kwark
06-02-2010, 12:26 AM
Thanks,

@ TCPortfolio

@ madone01
Its actually a horse! :P But im sure they could make it in a dog model. Maybe for kids to ride? haha

I've been meaning to add another picture that gives an indication of scale but i've been busy. It's slowly coming along.

For the single seat model, Its roughly the size of a normal horse, but stands taller and has a much more slim profile - especially towards the end of the body.

I was thinking of making a huge one that carries a heap of people within the chasis.... maybe the next picture can be a mass transport vehicle.

TMunro
06-02-2010, 12:57 AM
I love the concept but, I think it needs a little manufactured in New Zealand stamp somewhere :P

kwark
06-02-2010, 04:21 AM
Made in New Zealand....Made people frustrated in Australia >< haha

Although, like anything good to come from New Zealand - Australia has staked its flag on it. :(

CGTalk Moderation
06-02-2010, 04:21 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.