PDA

View Full Version : WIP : The wise old man

Layoda-na
06-01-2010, 11:46 AM
Hi everyone,

Here is a sketch for an illustration I want to begin the rendering. I'm still testing composition.
All critiques are welcome !

http://ddo-connexion.net/cg/TheOldMan_cgwip.jpg

Kanga
06-02-2010, 02:07 AM
If I look at the title and judge this as representative illustration then there are no elements to support the message you are trying to bring over.

The face is flat.
There is no structure to the face to suggest a skull.
The outline is not correct.
It looks like a boy/girl with wrinkles.
The hair strands are uniform and there is no volume or light and shadow fall.
Old people don't have a hairstyle like that, it is flatter on the top because the hair is thinner.
The composition yanks the eye to the left and the right is a fill.

Sketch more and try to draw volumes, check out some tutes on composition, light, dark. What artists do you admire? Who's work inspires you? That would give us a better idea of what you are shooting for.

Keep going and look at the best work you can find.

Assassin0323
06-02-2010, 02:59 AM
Try to remember that the anatomy of older people is different from middle aged people. The skin tends to stretch and sag. Keep in mind that as you get older the nose and ears continue to grow so his/her (not sure from the image) nose would not be so small they continue to grow.

Here is a reference:
http://todaysseniorsnetwork.com/man,%20older%20men,%20senior%20men,%20elderly%20,%20B&W.jpg

In the image see how the earlobes and the cheeks droop make sure you gather good reference. Hope this helps you to get a good start.

Definitely listen to what Kanga said.

Best of luck!

Layoda-na
06-02-2010, 12:19 PM
Hi Kanga & Assassin,

First thanks for your comments there are very helpful. Meanwhile I did this sketch I took some anatomy construction courses. So yes Iím going to make some more sketches trying to do this better.
About artists I admire I would say for example : Luis Royo, Benjamin, Jason Chan. You can still find more here in my gallery where I added my favourites CG artists.
And many times I am inspired by photographers (Chen Man, David lachapelle, Greg Kadel) or even by Japanese culture (manga, video games).

About what you said Assassin indeed I should take some more references and look for more specifications of elder people. Thank for the one youíve posted :)

Iíll get some time to redo this one and post a new one...

stuh505
06-02-2010, 10:41 PM
Why does the man have eyeballs looking in opposite directions, and what's the deal with the giant scribbly mess on his head?

Layoda-na
06-10-2010, 09:17 PM
Yes for the eyeball it's a mistake. About the hair it lacks some construction that's why they don't look good.

CGTalk Moderation
06-10-2010, 09:17 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.