PDA

View Full Version : why are depth IFFs unreadable?

inkyLaburnham
05-31-2010, 03:10 PM
i'm making remappedDepth passes using MR layers, it makes an image that Fcheck can read and looks good but Toxik/composite wont open it saying its missing thje codec.
its a single channel image with just the info in Z, its very strange that Autodesks own app wont open it

any help appreciated, i want to avoid setting up seperate layers with ramps etc when i'm getting such a nice image this way

johnchen
05-31-2010, 09:51 PM
Hey, I had the same problem , here is the solution

- Open fcheck
- open animation
- select your first Zdepth_frame tick zbuffer

- the animation will start to play, press stop straight away
- Now save the animation as tif / png / watever ( I usually put this in a new folder )
- fcheck will go through and read the zdepth and save them as proper image formats.

Im not sure about the technical aspect, but this is how I have been solving my problem

wizzackr
06-01-2010, 09:15 PM
mind you that this will kill all 16bit or 32bit depths in the zBuffer - highly annoying that fcheck puts out everything as 8bit no matter what you throw at it, i know. you'll have to go through a compositing app that can read iffs natively if you want to put out a 16bit or 32bit depth image.

johnchen
06-02-2010, 04:18 AM
mind you that this will kill all 16bit or 32bit depths in the zBuffer - highly annoying that fcheck puts out everything as 8bit no matter what you throw at it, i know. you'll have to go through a compositing app that can read iffs natively if you want to put out a 16bit or 32bit depth image.

Hmm useful info, I didnt know that.

I believe autodesk composite / toxik does support iff? but the trouble is it wont import iff with the zbuffer...

CGTalk Moderation
06-02-2010, 04:18 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.