PDA

View Full Version : Cyber Slum - Game Environment

TarickTDS
05-31-2010, 03:02 PM
Cyber slum - future time period, this is underneath the main city
Did 3 different sketches to try to decide on Composition and have decided to go with this one.
Going to be making this in 3D for my Game Environment Portfolio

If its not too much trouble id really appreciate some pointers to make it better,,, anyone have any ideas on lighting, composition or anything else please?

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff214/ardentzealot/sketch1copy.jpg

TarickTDS
05-31-2010, 03:28 PM
Rough Block out to get scale etc right

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff214/ardentzealot/BlockOutTestComp.jpg

Kungfoowiz
05-31-2010, 11:28 PM
First impressions are that the design is really busy, I don't know what to look at and take away from the piece.

What is the purpose of the scene if you don't mind me asking?

TarickTDS
06-01-2010, 12:17 AM
The image is meant to evoke feeling of shock from the viewer with the sheer scal of this slum and also in the future which says even though humanity has moved forward we still have equality problems.

Making a focal point sounds like a good idea!

Is making a focal point in a scene shot like this like principal 101 in art school?

TarickTDS
06-01-2010, 01:41 AM
Ive decided to re think the composition because its too far back from teh detail to actually show anything decent of the work im doing.

I will edit this post with my new composition sketches in about an hour or so id say wont take longer than that.

Thanks for reading :)

Kev3D
06-01-2010, 02:34 AM
I think the composition would be helped if it were framed by some much closer objects maybe you're looking over the porch / balcony of one of the houses.

Also, you should probably avoid making it look too regular. Maybe have clumps of houses. Maybe there are a few much larger buildings, waste disposal units of some kind.

TarickTDS
06-01-2010, 03:40 AM
OK. Decided just to start straight in max, so I started again.

What do you guys think?

Thanks Kevin, I agree i need some iregularity about it, and was already onto making it a little closer to the viewer but i agree there too.

Some large some small, bits and pieces here and there will definately be added. This is just basically trying to choose a composition that will work for what i want.

I feel like a retard going over this but i know its important and im sick of making stuff that just doesnt seem to work out one way or another

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff214/ardentzealot/CompositionBlockout1RenderfromMax.jpg

TarickTDS
06-01-2010, 03:53 AM
Next im going to do a paint over type sketch to fill in the scene and give myself some decent reference to work off to build the 3D objects. SHould only take a few hours at most so stay tuned

TarickTDS
06-01-2010, 06:54 AM
ok so its taking me a bit longer than i had thought, sew me

Kev3D
06-01-2010, 07:30 AM
ok so its taking me a bit longer than i had thought, sew me

No worries, you supply the needle and thread.

Seriously, the basic scene is looking a lot more interesting now, looking forward to see what you do with it.

TarickTDS
06-01-2010, 08:19 AM
WIP paint over, this is taking me longer than expected, but im really enjoying it

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff214/ardentzealot/th_PaintOverWIPv3.jpg (http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff214/ardentzealot/PaintOverWIPv3.jpg)

once again any crits etc please let me know, very keen to make this as good as possible

Kevin: haha! how you spell it propper? sue,,, thats a girls name i think :p

Kev3D
06-01-2010, 09:07 AM
Yeh, 'sue' is the word you were after.

I think it's looking great. I like the idea of this pool of light coming from above. Maybe a couple more shafts in the distance? I think that corridor looks like it needs something more.

Other then that, I really like where this is heading.

Just a thought with regards to making it look like a slum. Lots of clothes hanging out to dry seems to be the stereotypical indicator of poverty. A bit unfortunate considering how much more energy efficient it is then a drier.

Kungfoowiz
06-01-2010, 10:11 AM
Hey, interesting development here, I get the slum environment feeling somewhat, although I'm not really feeling the equality thing, maybe a little bit of technology. I think you should've started with thumbnails first, even if you were working on another idea, but you've gone ahead with this piece so I'm considering that.
At the moment there still doesn't seem to be a focus, everything seems to be in balance. One thing should stand out from the rest, usually what the purpose of the piece is, so I would suggest that you think about what element within your scene would most convey sluminess (if there's such a word) and then make it more prominent, scaling it bigger for example.
Also another point I would like to mention, you could look at being neater with things, showing us a screen with your brush ghost still in the frame is unprofessional imho.. this may seem a little harsh but it's something to think about if you were to show this to clients..

TarickTDS
06-01-2010, 01:10 PM
Kevin yeah it doesn't seem right does it, the clothes drying energy saving the poorest people on earth are doing for us. I guess they deserve our praise, Imagine if every slum living family on the planet did have a dryer = Global Frying!

Thanks for the ideas, i like your thoughts on another pool of light down the corridor. and more clothes :p

Kungfoo - There is quite a bit of tech in the scene, my drawings not so good really, shame im not a concept artist but oh wells, see spaceship mid ground, cyber stuff on building walls adn ceiling, cyber vehicle and mini drone left side. Again my drawings rough as sorry. The focal point ive kinda decided is a drone type space ship that can be seen hovering mid ground from the viewer between the buildings. I thought i might scale it up a little to make it more kinda nasty. I did try to do some thumbnails but just found it faster to do in 3D since i wanted the perspective to be so dramatic, it was kinda hard to draw. As far as being neat, point taken,,, guess i thought cos it was a WIP that it didnt matter but your right, if i ever wanted to show my process then this shot would look pretty bad.

thanks dudes, post again tomorrow.

Tasp
06-01-2010, 04:07 PM
Your latest concept sketch is getting closer to conveying the proper ideas I think you are going for.

I have a few things to suggest you ponder in regards to getting the feel of a poor neighborhood or "slum". In my experience most poor neighborhoods are characterized by 3 things-

1) They are a congested living area, with many people living in small amount of space, this leads to people being outdoors on the stoop or the street as much as possible, because there is simply more space. So try to capture that people live here. The guy smoking could be sitting on a stoop perhaps. If you want to make the drone the main focus you could easily incorporate the two as sometimes when the police will harass people sitting outside if they don't live at that specific property and write them up for "loitering".

2) Poor zoning, there are often large blocks of nothing but residential smashed up against strips of cheap commercial buildings. Think liquor stores, convience shops, novelty goods, fast food, sex shops and strip clubs in the even seedier areas. Slums are also usually near industrial areas or in fact incorporated into them. Many reasons slums take a while to feel the change of the city around them is because people don't want to live under the planes that fly low overhead, or near the sewer treatment plants, or next to the giant pit in the ground that is a stalled construction project meant to "revitalize" the area.

3) Lack of municipal care- This means roads in horrible disrepair, power and cable lines above ground, or worse stapled/nailed to the sides of buildings, or the worst, nonexistant. Abandoned buildings and open lots that are waiting for someone to buy them are also easy to find in many poor neighborhoods. Hydrants are routinely opened in the ghetto (by citizens, not firemen/city officials) for children to play in during hot weather, many streets are in such bad repair it is nearly impossible to ride a bike down them, or drive a car without swerving to avoid all the potholes and piles of trash.

Kungfoowiz
06-07-2010, 02:38 AM
Kungfoo - There is quite a bit of tech in the scene, my drawings not so good really, shame im not a concept artist but oh wells, see spaceship mid ground, cyber stuff on building walls adn ceiling, cyber vehicle and mini drone left side. Again my drawings rough as sorry. The focal point ive kinda decided is a drone type space ship that can be seen hovering mid ground from the viewer between the buildings. I thought i might scale it up a little to make it more kinda nasty. I did try to do some thumbnails but just found it faster to do in 3D since i wanted the perspective to be so dramatic, it was kinda hard to draw. As far as being neat, point taken,,, guess i thought cos it was a WIP that it didnt matter but your right, if i ever wanted to show my process then this shot would look pretty bad.

thanks dudes, post again tomorrow.

Sure, I understand that you may not have the skill to accurately render and draw yet, but you are missing out on a cool, not to mention necessary, part of the design process by not thumbnailing. You can save yourself much time and effort by doing them.

Initially you may need to practice them, this points back and tests your foundational art skills in every possible way, but in all honesty they will help you a lot to work out things faster than anything else. Something to keep in mind is this, if you can draw it small (thumbnail size) then you shouldn't have any problem drawing it big.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing your next update. Good luck with it bro.

CGTalk Moderation
06-07-2010, 02:38 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.