PDA

View Full Version : Hi.

lwwiz
09-16-2003, 11:00 PM
Hi I was thinking about buying one of larrys tour cds. has anybody baught any of them. Are they any good. Alos Are they as good as his free ones thanks to anyone who gives feedback.

timsvw
09-16-2003, 11:10 PM
I have purchased all of larry's character series, and they went above what I expected. My only wish is that I would of had them sooner. It's great to see step by step how someone works. It is surprising to look back at my work before the cource and see how much my skills have changed.

-Tim Bowser
http://www.dinoadventures.com

lwwiz
09-16-2003, 11:16 PM
But have you purchased the tour cds?

Remi
09-16-2003, 11:41 PM
Todd Grimes has some really great DVD's at desktop imaging....excellent stuff....creating a character from scratch all the way to animation...I highly recommend them.:)

Signal2Noise
09-16-2003, 11:47 PM
Links please! For those that may be interested in making a purchase...;)

lwwiz
09-17-2003, 12:39 AM
Yeah remi where is the link.

telamon
09-17-2003, 12:48 AM
I searched with google I have found

That (http://www.dvdirect.com/shop/product.asp?sku=RVV6098) but I am sure that you could find better links on cgtalk ;)

Concerning Larry's set, I have only purchased the first one. It is GREAT very interesting and Larry is a very good teacher, he explains very well the key functions and the key principles of body modelling...

One comment, he often coughs :D but that is fine anyway.

Sil3
09-17-2003, 05:32 AM
Larry´s Training stuff:

http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/

and

http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/professionalcharacterseries.html

SplineGod
09-17-2003, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by lwwiz
Hi I was thinking about buying one of larrys tour cds. has anybody baught any of them. Are they any good. Alos Are they as good as his free ones thanks to anyone who gives feedback.
Thanks for the comments guys... :)
Actually the free stuff on my website is just a small taste of what the Tour CDs are like. The CDs cover a wide range of topics and its the same material (plus more) that was presented at the actual Newtek sponsored seminars. Each of the CDs have over 10 hrs of material. Thats a lot of training for the money. Theres a link to my support forum on the CDs too.
You can see whats on the World Wide Tour CD HERE (http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/worldwidetour.htm)
and you can see whats the the Next Dimension Tour CD HERE (http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/nextdimensiontour.htm)
In terms of video training on CD theres nobody that offers that much time for that much money including a forum for the Seminar Attendees and anyone who purchased the CDs. If you liked the free stuff the for sale stuff is as good or better. :)

mlud
09-17-2003, 03:45 PM
When will that "Modeling with Splines" CD that's listed on your website be available? Splines seem like a very fast/accurate way to model heads/bodies.

Remi
09-17-2003, 05:26 PM
Sorry about that...here's the link....

Todd Grimes DVD Set (http://www.desktopimages.com/CharSeries.shtml)

SplineGod
09-17-2003, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by mlud
When will that "Modeling with Splines" CD that's listed on your website be available? Splines seem like a very fast/accurate way to model heads/bodies.
The first one spline modeling CD should be done by next week. :)

sebek27
09-17-2003, 09:13 PM
i have both worldwide CD's and have almost finished with the first one.. they are awesome ! lots of new stuff I learned now because of these i'm actually more comfortable with LW
i recommend them, better than books

SplineGod
09-17-2003, 09:42 PM
Thanks Sebek,
Theres a lot of stuff on those CDs that arent the usual stuff you see in books. The great thing about the seminars is that you see these things demonstrated and then you can ask questions. You dont have to worry about not remembering because we hand out these CDs. For those who couldnt attend we have the CDs and our Forum. :)

lwwiz
09-17-2003, 10:00 PM
Well I will definetaly give it some thaught with me only being 14 I have to save for the tutorials. Thanks For all the replys.

SplineGod
09-17-2003, 10:13 PM
lwwiz,
email me at larrys@splinegod.com.
Lets see what we can work out. :)

nostromo_va
09-17-2003, 10:30 PM
Best option: Attend one of the LW training tours - that's where I met Larry (that "I'll buy the first round" offer is open when you come back to Atlanta, Larry), and you get the tour CD's.

Second Best - Buy the Tour CD's - They are PACKED with goodies!

I learned an enourmous amount from Larry & Lee.

SplineGod
09-17-2003, 10:49 PM
Cool! Im definately going to take you up on that :)

jmcalpin
09-18-2003, 12:23 AM
You may want to look for an earlier post i did reviewing both tour CDs (I own both) I've been buying training videos the way i've been getting the books. In great precarious mounds that may topple at any moment.

They are both good. The free videos you see on Larry’s site are a good indication of his teaching style.

Each tour CD covers slightly different things. Let me load them up and give you a quick rundown

The World Wide training Tour CD:
It is predominately character tutorial videos. Model, rig and a walk cycle series of videos which are pretty good. There are also some good lighting tutorials and a few others. You can find a list on Larry's website.

I enjoyed them and found they cover a lot of ground just from the shear amount of content, but there are alot of gems of information that you'll refer back to with his CDs. He really gives you a lot for your money. Oh there are two plug-ins on it as well

Now the Next Dimension Tour CD is just full of what I call FX tutorials. It has some face modeling and some rigging tutorials but mostly it is videos on Motion designer, Particles, expressions and a host of other things that I consider in the same "FX" family.

This comes with some sample scenes and objects as well. It's a really good training CD if you want to know more about that aspect of Lightwave.

I have Todd Grimes DVDs as well. They are really good if you want to learn to build a character from beginning to end and take it all the way to animating and lip-syncing. It can get a little tedious in places since he takes you through rigging and activating and tweaking every bone, it's name and by the end you really know the process of what you need to do. I feel like I actually did model and animate owl man by the end. Which is a good thing because his techniques are burned into my head now...You know what they say about repetition...do you? I forgot, but it really helps memorization.

I also got that new DVD that just came out, but I missed the UPS guy and have to trek down to the post office to get it.

If you are looking for just character animation then get the Todd set. If you want a range of training then get Larry's CDs

I have a range of the desktop video training tapes for Lightwave and find the quality varies from tape to tape. Some are for LW 6 and those really seem dated now and alot of that information is on newer material people are putting out. The explosion one I found to be pretty good. The character animation on is superseded by Todd's DVDs. The Ron Thornton (sorry if I spelled name wrong) series of tapes I really enjoyed as he takes you through modeling a ship from Babylon 5 on one tape. Then texturing it on the next tape. His tapes are on LW 6 so you'll have to think a second when he opens the texture editor but it is not that alien from what we use now.

I've yet to get Dan's CDs so I can't review them.

I also just started Larry's Character course. I'm only a few lessons in and so far it's been very informative. Plus you have Larry to take you through the material and review your progress. Very cool.

Anyway hope that helps you decide from the wide range of material out there.

Jay

edit
- cleaned up the text to make more sense-

lwwiz
09-18-2003, 12:39 AM
Wow I think Im going to have to get one of these cds.

SplineGod
09-18-2003, 01:19 AM
Thanks Jay. :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.