PDA

View Full Version : To softquadro or not to softquadro?

Gilgamesh
05-25-2002, 01:46 AM
That is the question:
I have a GeForce3 Ti200. I think I want to softquadro it but I don't know how to go about doing it. Does anyone have a link for instructions and drivers?
Also, does this pose any threat to the card? I understand that it isn't like overclocking, so the card isn't going to be overworked. I would still like to do a little gaming.
So I guess I'm looking for a testimony: Is there a justifiable increase in performance in 3D graphics programs, and is it harmless?

ZrO-1
05-25-2002, 08:51 AM
As far as I know all softQuadro does is let you use hardware overlays in your viewports, and use any optimised drivers (like Maxtreem) that there might be for your applications. As far as performance it don't do jack. :)

Carnifex
05-25-2002, 01:15 PM
Bull, the softquadro DOES have an impact on OpenGL performance.
I had a GF3 Ti200 myself and softquadroed it. I saw a noticeable increase in smoothness in my apps and a distinct difference in OpenGL benchmarks. Very noticeable. You must remember that effectively there is no difference between the Quadro DCC chip and the GF3 Ti chips. The only differences lie in the chip id's and what features the chip id tells the drivers to activate.
With the drivers fooled into thinking that your Ti card is a Quadro, you have opened up for all the features that the Quadro possesses. The very features that make the Quadro such a powerful card.

So yeah, you will notice a difference.
No danger to the card at all. If you get problems, reinstall a normal driver.
As far as drawbacks, well some direct3d games may show slightly slower framerates, but the difference is minimal.
No stability issues that I have noticed.

Unfortunately there is as of yet no way to make a Geforce 4 Ti into a Quadro 4.
The chips on those cards are actually different and even with hardware mods, you can't unlock the quadro features.

As far as where to find it.
Try www.guru3d.com

You will need to download the Rivatuner program and some files for it.
The website should have extensive instructions on how to do the mod.

Highly recommendable.

Regards

Ian Wendt

Ya Hya Chouhada!!!

KayosIII
05-25-2002, 03:36 PM
Simply installing softquadro may do little for you. You also need to turn on the extra features it enables. One area where performance is really enhanced is when drawing lines.

ZrO-1
05-25-2002, 04:11 PM
Carnifex, I did say "as far as I know". :p

Anyway, has anybody tried SoftQuadro in Win XP on a GeForce3? I heard it doesn't work.

Joebount
05-25-2002, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by ZrO-1
Carnifex, I did say "as far as I know". :p

Anyway, has anybody tried SoftQuadro in Win XP on a GeForce3? I heard it doesn't work.

It does work without any trouble (I used the 21.81 with the softquadro patch).

Gilgamesh
05-26-2002, 12:40 AM
Hey thanks so far for the info, guys.
I have been searching the internet for a tutorial or something, but the information seems scarce, surprisingly. I was hoping to make it easy on myself and ask if some nice person on this forum would just tell me exactly what software/drivers I need to turn a Gainward GeForce3 Ti200 into a Quadro. If you know where they can be found that would be a tremendous bonus.
I am running Win2000Pro and would be mainly using 3D Studio Max.
I am also interested in Maxtreme divers, but I thought they only worked with specific cards.....Elsa or something. Any info?
You guys are the coolest. :thumbsup: :buttrock:

ZrO-1
05-26-2002, 01:28 AM
Gilga, I'm going to be trying the SoftQuadro with my system this sunday. If all goes well I'll tell you what I did and it should work for you as well. As far as right now, I know you need to use the RivaTuner app to first change your drivers then you apply the sQ after....or something like that :shrug: :p

I'll try and keep you posted.

frog
05-26-2002, 01:38 PM
Detailed instructions on installing softquadro here (http://www.beigefingers.com/news/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=10)

Download all the files at Guru 3d (http://www.guru3d.com)

:)

Gilgamesh
05-26-2002, 10:15 PM
Ahhh, muchas gracias, frog.
01 - let us know how it goes.
Quadro DCC, here I come!

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.