PDA

View Full Version : Automated Secondary Animation/SoftBodies etc

egglybagelface
05-28-2010, 07:24 PM
I've created a rabbit rig and she has your typical long bunny rabbit ears. So far, I've skined it with 4 bones each ear.

In sections of my character animation, i'd like to automate its movement in the character's more calmer moments, and in sections i'd like to drive it FK. (I know I can do that by blending the Envelope setting.)

Here's what I've tried and it ended in failure:

Maya Muscle (Apply Muscle System Skin Deformer) and applied just the jiggle option. And painted the weights where they should go. Results doesn't look natural.

Maya standard Jiggle Deformer w/painted weights. Results are super unnatural w/messy verts everywhere.

nCloth: When I apply nCloth to the rabbit, all my animation is lost because it completely converts the body to cloth. (Is there something missing I can do with this?)

What to do...

Can you make a skeleton chain dynamic? (For example, gravity facing upwards, not down, with noise on it)

I've thought about attaching a single Maya Hair Guide (Or shave and a haircut guide) for each ear, and use that spline to drive the skeleton chain (again with anti-gravity). Would that work?

How would you do it? Any better solutions you can come up with I haven't listed?

There's a steering wheel sticking out of my zipper.... and its driving me nuts.

egglybagelface
05-28-2010, 10:19 PM
This is pretty cool...

soft constraint (bi-directional) 1.2.0 Maya Script (http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/downloads/scripts-plugins/animation/c/soft-constraint-bi-directional--2)
(i can varify this works with Maya2011)

but does anybody have any other ideas?
Please.
Pretty please.

gonzalimator
05-28-2010, 10:59 PM
This might be what you're looking for:
http://www.vimeo.com/8240821

This takes a dynamic curve and a manually poseable curve and combines them via a blendshape to drive a splineIK set up.

egglybagelface
05-29-2010, 10:08 PM
That video was pretty intense for just a character animator. I'll have to watch it many times and pause it every now and again as that is EXACTLY what I need! It's funny because I got as far as discovering that path myself.... creating a spline IK and Hair setup. But to have manual control also is just Perfect! Just perfect! Thankyou soooo much.

CGTalk Moderation
05-29-2010, 10:08 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.