PDA

View Full Version : render only Extra Tex in V-Ray?

cgbeige
05-28-2010, 05:52 PM
This would seem like a simple thing but I'm not sure if I'm missing something or it's just this hard to do. I have a V-Ray scene with a bunch of render layers for my light passes but I want to have an occlusion pass render only once. As it is, I have to re-render the occlusion for every layer or make a separate scene with GI off to make it quicker to get past the beauty pass that I'll just discard anyway. Is there no way to just render a single occlusion pass for a document like this?

tharrell
05-29-2010, 01:03 AM
This would seem like a simple thing but I'm not sure if I'm missing something or it's just this hard to do. I have a V-Ray scene with a bunch of render layers for my light passes but I want to have an occlusion pass render only once. As it is, I have to re-render the occlusion for every layer or make a separate scene with GI off to make it quicker to get past the beauty pass that I'll just discard anyway. Is there no way to just render a single occlusion pass for a document like this?

Here's a quick workaround... you can't do layer overrides on the passes, but you can do overrides on what's plugged into the extra tex slot on your dirt pass.

I'd suggest doing an override there and plugging a black ramp into it... you'll get an empty pass that way but the smallest amount of render overhead you can get away with.

--T

cgbeige
05-29-2010, 02:28 AM
I'm not used to using overrides. Which method would you use out of all these?:

http://download.autodesk.com/us/maya/2011help/index.html?url=./files/Vari_Work_with_layer_overrides.htm,topicNumber=d0e600143

The Extra Tex isn't assigned explicitly to an object so I don't know how to override it as a material.

tharrell
05-29-2010, 03:04 AM
I'm not used to using overrides. Which method would you use out of all these?:

http://download.autodesk.com/us/maya/2011help/index.html?url=./files/Vari_Work_with_layer_overrides.htm,topicNumber=d0e600143

The Extra Tex isn't assigned explicitly to an object so I don't know how to override it as a material.

Create a ramp, make it black, then go to the layer you want to override.

Open up your render globals, and open the extra tex pass in your attribute editor.

All you have to do is right click on the word texture next to the texture slot and choose "create layer override" then plug in your black ramp instead of the vray dirt. The attribute that's overriden will turn orange on layers that the override is applied.

This even works in a lot of slots in the shaders themselves and even shape/transform attributes (like visibility or subdivision levels). With some render engines (sadly, not VRay) you can override most render globals settings per layer as well.

That said, you can override your render engine per layer with overrides as well.

Have fun,

--T

cgbeige
05-29-2010, 06:50 PM
thanks - that works great.

tharrell
06-01-2010, 06:34 AM
Doh, I don't know if it's one of the newer nightlies or me just being a flake (likely a combination, hadn't tested it on a more recent production build), but you can now do proper overrides for the passes on render layers without doing that silly ramp hack, at least as of last weekend's builds.

Just go to whichever pass you'd like to disable on a given layer and right click the word "enabled" under extra attrs in the attribute editor to make it all orange & purty. Uncheck it and done.

--T

cgbeige
06-01-2010, 03:50 PM
that works - thanks.

CGTalk Moderation
06-01-2010, 03:50 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.