PDA

View Full Version : Ocean Shader Projection Node

gurux2
05-28-2010, 03:42 AM
Hello. In the thread: Maya Ocean Surface and Mia Material (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=750391) , Duncan said this about the ocean shader:
Use a maya ocean TEXTURE as bump and displacement on your desired shader. It has all the same settings as the ocean. There is also a separate output on the texture for foam. Depending on your ocean geometry you could use the UV version or a planar projection down Y( the ocean shader uses a planar Y projection).
as well as this:
You can do pretty much everything with the ocean texture that you can with the ocean shader. One approach might be to exactly match the ocean texture attributes to the ocean shader then line up a y projection so they are identical (although I can't remember what the exact placement settings would be offhand).
Does anyone know where this projection node is located? I'm trying to line up my own projection to match it exactly but I can't find it anywhere...

AthorNZ
05-28-2010, 06:29 AM
When you create a new texture, there are radio buttons for "Normal", "As Projection" and "As Stencil". The default is Normal. change this to as projection and it will add a projection node into the network, where you can specify options like which camera to project from.

gurux2
05-28-2010, 06:50 AM
Thanks Athor, but what I mean is the internal projection node for the Ocean Shader. I'm assuming it's already in there somewhere, at least this is what I gathered from Duncan's comments...

If you need to line up your own projected ocean texture to the default projection used within the Maya Ocean Shader, what reference do you use to match it up?

AthorNZ
05-28-2010, 08:24 AM
I assume he means to do a render with the ocean shader, copy the settings to the ocean texture (as a projection in Y), then adjust the placement of the projection camera until the renders match.

I don't think you can use the internal projection node of the ocean shader. From what Duncan said this is just the same as a projection in Y, with specific placement settings.

gurux2
05-30-2010, 11:43 AM
I guess that would be the most sensible way. I think in that thread he had mentioned something about those settings being available somewhere but that he didn't know them off hand.

In any case, I was planning to use this as a second bump map for the mia material ocean (which is why it had to line up exactly) but in the end what I needed to do instead was just increase subdivisions on the displacement approximation node on my plane to get a crisper look on the waves.

Now I have to figure out how to plug the foam in... gonna play around with it.

Cheers

CGTalk Moderation
05-30-2010, 11:43 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.