PDA

View Full Version : MR Approximation Editor/Normal Mapping reverses output

Xsiv
05-27-2010, 09:55 PM
I have an issue.

I have a normal map that moves the geometry up off the surface. It works without any hitches within mental Ray. Think of 2 sheets of metal that are arc welded together. The bead of metal that welds the 2 curved plates ends up being a higher surface than the 2 plates. Bumped "up". Convex

The geometry is limited in the polygon count. So, making use of MR approximation editor and applying a subdiv for poylgons to the polygon surface, the object now looks really smooth and nice.

My problem is that the normal maps now appear to have sunk. Instead of having a raised bead of metal between plates, it is now a divot. Concave

Has anyone come across this?

How can you have both the approximation of the polygon surface and the normal map behave like they do independently - or correctly?

Thanks

Chris

How can you have both the approximation of the polygon surface and the normal map behave like they do independently - or correctly?

Thanks

Chris

CGTalk Moderation
05-27-2010, 09:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.