PDA

View Full Version : How to bake transparency maps for games

Tornado7
05-27-2010, 06:24 PM
Hi guys! I've a spaceship model surrounded by another shell object that covers it. For the shell object a just used a very simple blinn material with some transparency in it. I'd like to bake this blinn material producing a baked texture that shows the spaceship inside the shell.
I tried to get it using the Convert to file texture (Maya software) way, checking the Bake Transparency option, but the resulting texture doesn't show anything about the spaceship. At this point I tried the Batch Bake (Mental Ray) way checking the bake alpha option: in this case I get a nice baked texture that shows the spaceship inside the shell but my problem is that it produces a texture that it's related to the camera position (top, front, side, persp), while I'd need a texture that could be "camera free" (it could show the spaceship inside the shell no matter where the camera is placed).
Am I'm doing something wrong or do you use a different approach to bake transparency maps for videogames?

Thanks in advance for any help ;-)
Francesco

CGTalk Moderation
05-27-2010, 06:24 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.