PDA

View Full Version : Critique my portfolio site

3dflasher
09-16-2003, 06:05 PM
I am working on my portfolio site. Just wanted some input on it. It not finished but you should get the jist:

Alden Filion Portfolio (http://www.aldenfilion.com/)

Aelius
09-17-2003, 01:06 PM
The software logos are waaaay too big. Are you selling yourself, or the software?:p

3dflasher
09-17-2003, 02:23 PM
Yeah you're right. I got the same comment from a friend of mine. I think they are too distracting also. I wanted to make it idiot proof so that anyone could see all the content with the right plug-ins, but I think Im gonna change it.

THX ....does the layout flow?

Aelius
09-17-2003, 03:01 PM
Yeah, the layout's nice and simple. Some of thumbs don't do anything when u click on them - I'm assuming you're still building the site?

Your 3D work is really good. I would lose the "Click" text that appears on the thumbnails when you roll over them. The gradient 'doors' are a good way to show the viewer that they are over a hotspot, and the picture gets clearer, which is cool, but then the "Click" text makes the pic unclear again - does that make sense?

The pop-ups are annoying, but that's probably just me. I'd quite like the images to load into the actual website - but my website does exactly the same (it's hard to do sometimes without messing up your layout)!!:)

You might want to lose the javascript resize and move scripts on the pop-ups. They don't seem to do it for any particular reason, and it's really annoying (to me, anyway). Also, you'll have problems with Macs and browsers other than IE 4.5+.

Last thing - a pixel font might make your text a little clearer? Try www.fontsforflash.com

Hope this helps.

Delapouite
09-17-2003, 05:48 PM
same crits for logos on the right..and also for resolution checking : why doing this ? Vector animation like flash movies are especially made to avoid this kind of problem ! Sorry just a last one : try to find another way to illustrate video thumbnails that taking a screeshot of windows media player. Rest is clean: i like this dark colors.. follow this way...

AirbORn
09-20-2003, 07:02 AM
I like the feel to the site and the colour scheme.

Same comments as was posted earlier, the logos on the right are too big and distracting. Also myself coming from a design background you should really read up on typography. The way your content is layed out is a crime in graphic design. Not trying to sound like I know everything but it's something that will help your design a grat deal more.

Good job :thumbsup:

Haifisch
09-21-2003, 08:52 PM
Yo, I think you need to find a better way to display ur work, when I click on the images they are not interactive, but follow a completely different scheme then ur whole site. -hf

3dflasher
09-22-2003, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the crits guys. The harsher the better :thumbsup:

Aelius - Thanks for the link. I didnt even know that existed. Ill try it.

P.Delapouite - Thanks for the comments. The reason I had the resolution choice is because of the two jpg's on the side...I wanted them to fit flush on the sides on all artist monitors. I think I might do somehting a little different for the video screens. Ill see what I can think of. :cool:

AirbORn - Thanks for the crit. I always welcome a critique but please be specific. I cant get better if I dont know whats wrong and how I can change it for the better.

Ill try and implement some changes tonight. Got hit with the hurricane this week so everything is all crazy.

TheWriter
09-23-2003, 07:54 AM
U worked at Sprint? So helped those telemarketing losers? Grrr

Anyone who is a friend of Sprint is no friend of mine. The bastards have been harrasing me all week to change long distant plans. Tell em to fix their 'do no call' list please.

3dflasher
09-23-2003, 08:03 AM
Wow...easy tiger. I share the same hatred for Sprint. I worked at Fearless Eye (production house) and they contracted us to model prototype phones for them, so they could use them on their website. I only modeled one phone though. This is a Cg forum not the Sprint service plan section :)....vent at Sprint.com or call a Sprint rep :shrug:

AirbORn
09-23-2003, 08:34 AM
Ok I'll try my best to explain what is wrong with the text on your site with out using visuals.

Ok here are the following reasons:

- On the left side of your page the font used for your initials do not fit the feeling of your site, they fit more of a fancy, cocktail party type of scene. Change them to a "Sans Sarif" typeface. Sans Sarif means fonts that dont have sarifs.

- The font used for your body copy, (these being paragraphs) is ok but a font like "Eurostile" or "Frutiger" might be a better pick, also you need to close up space between words. Words are too far apart.

- NEVER EVER USE ITALIC FOR BODY COPY!!! Sorry I can't stress that enough.

- NEVER USE MORE THEN 2 different types of fonts stick to 2 at the most. Fonts used in logos dont' count, they can be different then the 2 used in your site.

That's pretty much it for now. If you get a chance to fix it let me know and I'll have a look.

Sorry if I sounded a little harsh :blush:

3dflasher
09-23-2003, 02:26 PM
Airborn - Thank you. That's exactly the kinda stuff I wanted to hear. I didnt even realize I used Italics untill you said that. You know how burnt out a person gets when they stare at their own work for so long. Im gonna try those fonts out tonight when I get home. I don't know too much about specifics of design...I just kinda do what looks good to me.

Aelius
09-23-2003, 07:35 PM
Just choose a headline font and a body font that match nicely and you'll be fine. For free pixel fonts, try this: http://www.orgdot.com/aliasfonts/

It'll be better to play around with than buying them! Good luck.

3dflasher
09-23-2003, 08:55 PM
Aelius - thanks for the links. Im gonna play with them tonight :) ....could you help me with my pre-loader. the loader bar isnt really attatched to the bytes loaded script...and I wanted to do dynamic text to count up to the bytes loaded. I tried to look at flashkit but I guess I'm a moron. I just can't get it to work. Ill post the loader .fla when I get home ....maybe you could tell me what Im doing wrong.

Aelius
09-24-2003, 10:01 AM
Yeah, sure. In the meantime, I answered a post about this on another thread a couple of days ago: http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=87160

That might be of some help.

3dflasher
09-25-2003, 02:53 PM
Ok here is the loader.fla Don't make fun of me cause I have no idea what I'm doing. Right now its basically just playing a 100 frame animation so that it loads in that time...very ghetto and not right at all. I want to have it load by the bytes loaded and I also want to have dynamic text counting the bytes loaded too. I'm clueless so any help wil be appreciated.

http://www.aldenfilion.com/loader.fla

Aelius - Thanks for the font links. I changed all my fonts to pixel fonts. Good looking out :buttrock:

Aelius
09-25-2003, 03:12 PM
I'll take a look at it when I get a minute.

Aelius
09-25-2003, 08:28 PM
Okay, I've commented the script throughout. Hope it's helpful.
There were a lot of problems which prevented it from working.

Did you say to had used pixel fonts? Make sure your fonts are aligned left, and sit on whole-pixels. If they are positioned on fractions of pixels, they will appear blurry. Also make sure they are set to the correct size (usually size 8).

Could I offer two last comments?
1) The two boxes displaying the screen resolution are a little clumsy and look a bit amateurish. Do you really need them?
2) The script font you've used for your logo doesn't match the techno style of the website.

Other than that, good luck.:)

3dflasher
09-26-2003, 02:50 AM
Thank you very much Aelius. That helped out alot. I also descided to change the script font. Now Im gonna get to work on the actual 3d content.

Thanks alot everyone you have been a great help.

Aelius
09-27-2003, 07:53 PM
Wow! I just checked out your site and it's looking great! The splash screen looks a lot better too with the white on blue, instead of the old green on blue.

Looking good!

Aelius
10-11-2003, 02:58 PM
Just thought I should let you know, I tested your site on Navigator 7 on WinXP and your javascript pop-ups don't work.

3dflasher
10-11-2003, 08:41 PM
AAAhhhh...I was afraid of that. Damn I stopped working on the site to get the content up to a better level ;) Thank you Aelius for pointing it out....so none of the pop ups work? That sux...I guess Im gonna have to take that resize code off those pop ups....I bet that whats making it whacky.

Thank you :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.