PDA

View Full Version : How to render Global Illumination with Maya toon texture?

Hoood
05-26-2010, 05:36 PM
Hi all,

This is so simple question: How on earth can I render/fake GI while using toon shader and Maya standard renderer?? The toon shader is simple plain 1 color and outline!!

Any advice guys will bring happiness to your heart :p

animatedfox
05-26-2010, 09:35 PM
Maybe I am the only one not quite sure what you are looking for in your final render. GI + toon...do you have any reference/inspiration image? The default toon shaders are surface shaders...thus they don't react to light.
In order to send you down the right direction, it would be great to get a little more info.
~Ben

Hoood
05-27-2010, 12:53 PM
well, simply imagine characters and environment shaded with single-color toon shader (say grey, for instance) and there are no shadows at all except ones coming as result of GI (soft edges)..

I know that maya's standard renderer is efficient and strong enough to produce realistic renders if lights were calculated right, and this (GI soft shadows) can be faked if lights were placed correctly, but I'm looking for automated process for animation.

CGTalk Moderation
05-27-2010, 12:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.