PDA

View Full Version : workaround aimDirection Instances

zwobit
05-26-2010, 03:22 PM
Hi there,

I have particles animated via goalU / goalV along a surface and geometry instanced to them. Aim Direction is set to velocity which is fine as long as the surface doesn't move.
If I animate the surface all the instanced geometry points in the direction the surface is moving.

basically the same problem as here:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=86&t=578670&highlight=instancing

Is there some way to avoid this, ore is Aiming to velocity just the wrong decision here?

Aikiman
05-26-2010, 08:52 PM
Can you try setting the aim direction to something like the Z world axis instead of velocity?

apoc519
05-27-2010, 01:21 AM
A few possibilities...

1 You could just parent the particleShape under the animated goal object and then turn off "emission in world" in the particleShape. Seems to work for me, but Ive never really played with that option before

2 Could you do the particle cache before animating the object and then parent the particleShape to the object?

3 Subtract the velocity of the object from the particles in an expression

Aikiman
05-27-2010, 10:43 PM
Hi Paul,

I like your first example, but have you actually made the 3rd one work? I tried it but if the object is keyframed animation you dont get any velocity just displacement of position.

Cheers Jeremy

apoc519
05-31-2010, 12:06 AM
No, I hadn't actually tried it. Just brain storming ideas :)

zwobit
06-02-2010, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the reply,
really nice ideas Paul.

CGTalk Moderation
06-02-2010, 02:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.