PDA

View Full Version : Maya Satellite OSX

bertjenkins
05-26-2010, 04:21 PM
Hi

I, like i'm sure thousands before, am having a nightmare trying to get any life from Maya Satellite (2011 64bit) in OSX. It's installed on my slave machine, the port is open (7411) , I can see the launchd process is there. However i render on one machine and there is no change on the launchd process on the slave machine. Shouldn't i be seeing some activity in the launchd process?

I check the (detailed verbosity) messages in maya and there is no reference to the rayhosts file. Does this mean it hasn't even found my maya.rayhosts file? Or am i not looking at the right part of the script editor feedback?

I've tried using the IP address, the computer name, with and without the port number and i get nothing.

Has anyone got it to work?

Why do they make this so painful? Surely most mac users are inticed by the possibility of faster rendering, can't they just have a tab in the render module which searches for available computers or something?

:banghead:

cgbeige
05-26-2010, 05:54 PM
have you got it to work with older versions?

You might be missing the crucial part: the maya.rayhosts file. It needs to be in one of your pref directories of the master machine and have the IP:port of the slave machine in it.

bertjenkins
05-26-2010, 06:01 PM
No i havent used satellite before, this is the first time. BTW one machine is leapoard (slave) and one snow leapord (master)...should that make a difference?

Yes the rayhosts file is there... I've tried it in various locations as specified in the maya users guide but i can't get MR to see it... or at least i can't even tell if it's using it.

cgbeige
05-26-2010, 06:23 PM
the client machine OS shouldn't make a difference. Restart both machines - that will restart launchd and make sure that the daemon is running correctly. If that doesn't work, check your firewall settings or make sure your router is passing hte port info

bertjenkins
05-26-2010, 06:25 PM
Ok thanks i'll try. There's no firewalls and no router, simply two machines.

Is there a way to check if it's working? Should i be checking the launchd process in the activity monitor in the slave machine? Whats the best way to check from the render messages?

cgbeige
05-26-2010, 06:46 PM
if it can't add the slave, it will fail early in the render process and tell you. It's easiest to test with command line renders and append -v 5 for relatively high verbosity.

bertjenkins
05-26-2010, 06:55 PM
ok, well that's interesting, the renders havent stopped. They render fine.

maybe it's working but not using the extra processors?

I have a dual quad core mac pro and the slave is dual quad core too, so thats 16 cores, does it only use the slave if it's maxed out on the first machine?

cgbeige
05-26-2010, 08:56 PM
no, it uses them automatically, regardless of your thread count specified.

renders don't fail if it can't add slaves, it only moves on without them.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't work. Considering that 64-bit is new for OS X and how they released the 3DS plug-in that doesn't work for x64, I doubt they even tested it. I use V-Ray now so I won't bother installing this - sorry.

bertjenkins
05-26-2010, 09:02 PM
Damn, i was dreaming of my lo-fi Mental Ray renderfarm!
I'll give it a few more attempts then i'm definitely gonna throw in the towel.

bertjenkins
06-10-2010, 07:27 PM
Can i just check if anyone has mental ray satellite running functionally across a network on osx snow leapord, 2011?

Or backburner?

Should they really be allowed to say 'osx' on the box if they dont work?

onetime
06-11-2010, 12:00 PM
I have mental ray satellite functioning on OS 10.6 with Maya 2011. It's a pain to set up the first time, but definitely worthwhile, so don't give up.

As cgbeige said, make sure you have a maya.rayhosts file located in your Maya prefs folder. Here's a sample, one with the machine name, and one with the IP address. Notice the port number is added after a colon. Make sure you can ping the slave machine from the master.

mac-117049-prod.local:7411
172.20.117.49:7411

Also, this is important. In Maya's Batch Render options box, make sure "Render on network machines" is checked and save the preferences. I'm not sure if you're rendering within Maya or with Terminal, but your render command should look something like this:

Render -r mr -v 5 -proj <project path>

When you hit render, you should see it adding the rayhosts near the top. You should also see a 'raysat' process on the slave machine. Make sure the scene you're rendering is heavy enough for it to be noticeable.

Oh, and Backburner is shit. Try Deadline or Muster if you want (Maya needs to be installed on both machines), but making a shell script for separate render jobs will work fine for two machines.

bertjenkins
06-11-2010, 12:36 PM
Great thanks for your reply. I'll open the can of worms again!!

The problem i was having before was getting any reference to the rayhosts file on the command line. I tried every version i could possibly think of of the computer name, port, IP etc and there just was no reference in the command line even at full verbosity. Didn't say it was looking for it or mention it in any way. Which made me think it hadn't even found the rayhosts file.

The launchd process is running on the slave machine but not any other processes such as the one you mentioned. Its frustrating as it's a feature that i'm sure most users would want to make use of!

Also I only have one maya 2011 license (on 10.6) and one 2008 license (on 10.5.8 - the slave) . Should this make a difference?

onetime
06-11-2010, 12:45 PM
I just want to ask... Did you install the mentalray satellite client on the slave machine? The launchd process is always running, and listens for requests to activate other processes, such as raysat, which is installed seperately. The filename to download and install is something like:

Mental_Ray_Satellite_3_8_1_for_Autodesk_Maya2011_English_Mac_OSX.dmg
If you already installed that, sorry. But even if it's not installed, you should still get some reference to the rayhosts file in the command line. Triple check that "Render on network machines" is checked.

As for your seperate version licenses, all that means is you won't be able to use a Render Manager like Deadline or Muster. As long as the 2011 version of satellite is installed on your slave, it will not care if the machine has 2008, 2011, or any version of Maya installed for that matter.

Here's an excerpt of what you're looking for

mental ray: got 8 satellite CPUs.
MEM 0.0 info : heap size limit set to 128 MB
Info: (mental ray) : number of render thread(s): 2
// mental ray for Maya: using rayhosts file /Users/u6509/Library/Preferences/Autodesk/maya/2011-x64/prefs//maya.rayhosts
Info: (mental ray) : adding rayhosts
Info: (mental ray) : adding host: xs-renderslave1.xxxxx.intra:7411
MSG 0.0 info : adding new host 1 (xs-renderslave1.xxxxx.intra:7411)
MSG 0.0 error 011330: mi-ray/tcp: not a service (check /etc/services)
MSG 0.0 warn 012219: using fallback inet service 7003
JOB 0.0 info : started threads 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7 on xs-renderslave1.xxxxx.intra:7411 now known as host 1
Info: (mental ray) : adding host: xs-renderslave2.xxxxx.intra:7411
MSG 0.0 info : adding new host 2 (xs-renderslave2.xxxxx.intra:7411)
MSG 1.0 info : version 3.8.1.26, Feb 7 2010, revision 110437
JOB 0.0 info : started threads 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7 on xs-renderslave2.xxxxx.intra:7411 now known as host 2
Info: (mental ray) : adding host: xs-renderslave3.xxxxx.intra:7411
MSG 0.0 info : adding new host 3 (xs-renderslave3.xxxxx.intra:7411)
MSG 2.0 info : version 3.8.1.26, Feb 7 2010, revision 110437
MSG 1.0 info : satellite uses 8 threads
MSG 1.0 info : mental ray satellite, version 3.8.1.26
JOB 0.0 info : started threads 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7 on xs-renderslave3.xxxxx.intra:7411 now known as host 3
Info: (mental ray) : adding host: xs-renderslave4.xxxxx.intra:7411
MSG 0.0 info : adding new host 4 (xs-renderslave4.xxxxx.intra:7411)
MSG 0.0 error 011213: cannot receive welcome message from host 4 (active)
Info: (mental ray) : adding host: xs-renderslave5.xxxxx.intra:7411
MSG 0.0 error 011706: cannot add host xs-renderslave4.xxxxx.intra:7411
MSG 0.0 info : adding new host 4 (xs-renderslave5.xxxxx.intra:7411)
MSG 2.0 info : satellite uses 8 threads
MSG 2.0 info : mental ray satellite, version 3.8.1.26
MSG 3.0 info : version 3.8.1.26, Feb 7 2010, revision 110437
JOB 0.0 info : started threads 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7 on xs-renderslave5.xxxxx.intra:7411 now known as host 4
Info: (mental ray) : network rendering slaves: xs-renderslave1.xxxxx.intra:7411 xs-renderslave2.xxxxx.intra:7411 xs-renderslave3.xxxxx.intra:7411 xs-renderslave5.xxxxx.intra:7411

bertjenkins
06-11-2010, 01:36 PM
Yes i have exactly the same version of satellite installed as you

I have the rayhosts file in the same place as you

Also my rayhost IP address pings fine from master to slave, i have the same IP address/colon/port number layout as your file...but all i get is this...

Fri Jun 11 13:35:14 BST 2010

Starting "/Applications/Autodesk/maya2011/Maya.app/Contents/bin/maya"

mental ray for Maya 2011
mental ray: version 3.8.1.26, Feb 7 2010, revision 110437
File read in 0 seconds.
Result: HD/scenes/satellite test__81671.mb
initMPS with licenseOption 0
MEM 0.0 info : heap size limit set to 4810 MB
Info: (mental ray) : number of render thread(s): 2
Info: (Mayatomr.Nodes) : custom string options found
Info: (Mayatomr.Nodes) : derive mental ray global approximation settings from Maya
Info: (Mayatomr.Nodes) : derive mental ray global displacement settings from Maya
Info: (Mayatomr.Scene) : update lights and related shaders
Info: (Mayatomr.Scene) : update cameras and related shaders
Info: (Mayatomr.Scene) : update geometry and materials
Warning: (Mayatomr.Scene) : polySurfaceShape1: empty UV set map1 detected, ignored
Info: (Mayatomr.Scene) : render camera: persp
SCEN 0.2 info : 2 geometry leaf instances (2 scheduled, 0 cached, 0 shared)
SCEN 0.2 info : 1 light leaf instance
SCEN 0.2 info : wallclock 0:00:00.00 for scene preprocessing
SCEN 0.2 info : CPU user 0:00:00.00 for scene preprocessing
SCEN 0.2 info : allocated 16 MB, max resident 16 MB, RSS 198244 MB
RC 0.2 info : scene extent: (-11.55,-11.57,-11.32) : (11.58,11.43,11.13)
RC 0.2 info : option: scanline off
RC 0.2 info : option: trace on
RC 0.2 info : option: trace depth reflection 1, refraction 1, sum 1
RC 0.2 info : option: acceleration bsp2
RC 0.2 info : option: shadow on

onetime
06-11-2010, 01:49 PM
Add '-v 5' into your command or set the verbosity level in Batch Render options to Progress, save the preferences, and try again. This should show you more information.

Edit:

Another thing to try is doing a port scan of the slave machine from the master.

Network Utility -> Port Scan -> machine name or IP

Only test ports 7000 through 8000. You should get:

Open TCP Port: 7411 mi-raysat2011

bertjenkins
06-11-2010, 02:32 PM
Thanks for your help and patience....hopefully this maybe of help to other mac users!

Surely i must be close...

Yup i did the port scan last time i tried, and it found satelite at 7411, which i must say gave me a mild sense of excitement

I spent a good 2/3 days battling with this, went through all the manuals and read me files, and all the threads i could find. But there must be one thing i've missed....?

Here's the progress verbosity messages .... there's not much more in there. I've done detailed verbosity too in the past but waaaay too much information!!

My file is called maya.rayhosts, its a text file in the prefs folder with just a single line

Fri Jun 11 14:30:14 BST 2010

Starting "/Applications/Autodesk/maya2011/Maya.app/Contents/bin/maya"

mental ray for Maya 2011
mental ray: version 3.8.1.26, Feb 7 2010, revision 110437
File read in 0 seconds.
Result: /HD/scenes/satellite test__81671.mb
initMPS with licenseOption 0
Prog: (Mayatomr.Scene) : optimize animation detection: done 3 animated nodes
MEM 0.0 info : heap size limit set to 4803 MB
Info: (mental ray) : number of render thread(s): 16
Info: (Mayatomr.Nodes) : custom string options found
Info: (Mayatomr.Nodes) : derive mental ray global approximation settings from Maya
Info: (Mayatomr.Nodes) : derive mental ray global displacement settings from Maya
Info: (Mayatomr.Scene) : update lights and related shaders
Info: (Mayatomr.Scene) : update cameras and related shaders
Info: (Mayatomr.Scene) : update geometry and materials
Prog: (Mayatomr.Scene) : DAG node: pSphere1
Prog: (Mayatomr.Scene) : DAG node: polySurface1
Warning: (Mayatomr.Scene) : polySurfaceShape1: empty UV set map1 detected, ignored
Info: (Mayatomr.Scene) : render camera: persp
SCEN 0.2 progr: begin scene preprocessing for frame 1
SCEN 0.2 info : 2 geometry leaf instances (2 scheduled, 0 cached, 0 shared)
SCEN 0.2 info : 1 light leaf instance
SCEN 0.2 info : wallclock 0:00:00.00 for scene preprocessing
SCEN 0.2 info : CPU user 0:00:00.00 for scene preprocessing

onetime
06-11-2010, 08:29 PM
Sorry to sound like a broken record, but that does not look like a render output with '-v 5' enabled. I realize you're not posting the whole thing because it's pretty long, but it seems there's still some info missing.

Honestly, I'm out of ideas for you. I hope you get it working though! I'll keep an eye on this thread in case you've got a question (other than why isn't it working)....

Good luck!

rusdom
09-09-2010, 10:28 PM
Did you ever get this issue resolved?

I've having a somewhat similar issue w/ satellite. For mine Maya recognizes the maya.rayhosts file during rendering, but the Slave machine never actually processes anything.

Been trying everything and banging my head against the wall trying to get this figured out, and this thread was seeming really promising... :)

Just curious if you got any further?

cgbeige
09-10-2010, 03:50 AM
It works fine here. All I did was install the mr sat on the client machine, check that it's running:

http://grab.by/grabs/c96fae0bbe58c5ca340cfa6632ac7cc0.png

ran this in the terminal to add the machine to maya.rayhosts:

echo 10.0.1.198:7411 > ~/Library/Preferences/Autodesk/maya/maya.rayhosts

running fine. Then I did a render and it worked on the slave:

http://grab.by/grabs/1d9c97f24cdd477e9be852c08a00c69b.png

bertjenkins
09-10-2010, 11:01 AM
That's encouraging.

I never got a single render to work with satellite. When i have the mental strength (!) i will try again using cgbeige's method....

cgbeige
09-10-2010, 03:46 PM
the only thing I can think of that might be the problem is that you're using a rich text doc for your rayhosts file. Make sure it's just plain text - if you use the terminal echo method, that is plain text. Textedit.app makes rich text by default so that might be your problem.

DutchDimension
09-11-2010, 11:21 PM
Just set this up myself. Pretty straightforward really.

•First I connected my MBP and Mac Pro (2006) to my Time Capsule.
•Then I downloaded the Mental_Ray_Satellite_3_8_1_for_Autodesk_Maya2011_English_Mac_OSX.dmg
from my Subscription Center and ran the mrsat3.8.1.mpkg installer package on the slave machine.
•Looked up the slave's IP in System Preferences-->Network-->Ethernet 1.
•Opened up a Terminal on the master machine and entered:

echo *slave_machine_ip_goes_here*:7411 > ~/Library/Preferences/Autodesk/maya/maya.rayhosts

(thanks cgbeige!)

•Checked if the maya.rayhosts file had indeed been created correctly.
•Opened up Maya and made sure that under Render-->Render Current Frame Option Box-->Network both options were ticked on (Render on the Local Machine, and Render on Network Machines).
•Did a test render in the RenderView and success. :)

DutchDimension
09-19-2010, 12:11 PM
Hey bertjenkins, did you ever get your satellite setup working?

Have you seen this (http://forum.mentalimages.com/showthread.php?t=6968) thread over on the mental images forum? It does seem (as cgbeige suggested) that if you setup your rayhosts file as a richtext document the file will not work correctly and your slaves will not be added to the network upon render time.

Try deleting any and all instances of your rayhosts file (in all the locations where Maya will look for it) to avoid confusing the renderer. And then setup a totally new rayhosts file in the method that cgbeige suggested (through an echo command in a terminal).

Let us know how you get on.

Kevenj
10-01-2010, 11:51 PM
I had a similar problem and found that port 7411 was not opened. You can use the Network Utility found in Applications/Utilities then go to the Port Scan tab. Enter the IP of your mac and click the Scan button. Let it run for a while. If you see a line with 7411 mi-raysat2011 in the list then satellite was installed correctly on that machine. You can also enter the IP of the other machine to see if 7411 is installed there too.

If you don't see 7411 reinstall maya satellite then restart. But uninstall the screwed up satellite first. The uninstaller is found in Utilities/AutodeskUninstaller. Also make sure Firewall is off in the Security Preferences pane.

You might need to open Terminal and Flush the ports using: sudo ipfw flush
Watch your console as you try to render. Let me know what the error is.
You will get an error that says - mi-ray/tcp: not a service (check /etc/services) - but that seems to be normal. You can VI the services list and sure enough it won't be in there.

I have satellite running on 4 macs using all 8 processors. It runs well and is very nice.

Good Luck

Keven

onetime
10-26-2010, 02:14 PM
I'll post this here instead of starting a new thread.

We recently upgraded to 12 core Mac Pros and rely on mentalray satellite pretty heavily. The processors use hyperthreading, which means we have two threads per core, or 24 threads.

mentalray satellite apparently only uses 16 threads, even if I set the -rt flag to 24.
MSG 1.0 info : satellite uses 16 threads
MSG 1.0 info : satellite found 24 logical cores
MSG 1.0 info : mental ray satellite, version 3.8.1.33

This means that any satellite machine ignores 8 threads and uses only 66% of the available processing power while the master uses 100%. On top of that, it refuses to add any more than 2 satellites, reporting that all valid satellites are in use. With my previous 8 core workstation, I could render on at least four 8 core (single threaded) machines at once using satellite, plus the master.

I was under the impression that mentalray satellite works on a per machine basis, and that we can use 5 satellites per Maya 2011 license (4 satellites for previous versions if I recall correctly). I haven't done further testing yet, but all I know for sure is that we're not getting the performance we should be.

Am I missing something, or is this a huge oversight? It seems like an artificially imposed limitation to me, and a frustrating one at that.

cgbeige
10-26-2010, 03:32 PM
file a bug. That's likely an issue on Windows and Linux too.

If you have full installs of Maya on the slaves, try using Prime Focus Deadline as a job manager to distribute tasks. It's like Backburner, only it works right.

CGTalk Moderation
10-26-2010, 03:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.