PDA

View Full Version : cut

otacon
05-24-2002, 10:08 PM
For animating purposes. I was wondering if there was a way, in Lightwave, to cut the camera, in order to change scenes, instead of just having the camera keep moving. Or would i have to use another program?

Bog
06-03-2002, 08:10 PM
Short answer: No.
Less short answer: Only if you're not using any motion blur: Then just keyframe the camera to it's last place at frame n, and to it's new cut position at frame n+1.
Even less short answer: Set up a scene with multiple cameras. Set their motion keys. Save the scene with the render range 0-n as cam1scene (f'rexample), save again with render range n+1 to end of animation as cam2scene, with the other camera selected. Use Screamernet to render both scenes concurrently to the same output directory.

HTH
HAND

otacon
06-03-2002, 08:39 PM
:) Thanks Bog.

Bog
06-03-2002, 09:25 PM
*bows deep*

My pleasure. Was that sufficiently clear, or do you need more detail? I'm new on this board (gh0d only knows why), so I'm still calibrating.

otacon
06-04-2002, 02:51 AM
Some more detail might be helpful Bog. Thanks.:bounce: :eek: :bounce: bounces are fun.:bounce: :bounce:

Bog
06-04-2002, 06:08 AM
I like bouncing. :bounce: My gf likes it when I bounce, too.:buttrock:

With the multiple camera thing:

You've got your scene, and both camera are keyframed. You want to look through Camera 1 for the first 250 frames of the sequence, and cut to Camera 2 for the final 150 frames of the sequence. Set a directory to render your output frames to, and a base name for the image sequence. You need to render to an image sequence if you want the whole thing to come out as one long 400 frame run - rendering to AVI or MOV will give you two seperate animations. Either way will Require Some Assembly, but I always find it easiest and least lossy to work with image sequences.

So, having set up your anim, with Camera 1's keyframes spanning 0 to 250, and Camera 2's keyframes running from 251 as it's initial frame through to 400, you've got your base scene.

A LightWave scene is rendered through the point of view of the selected camera only - there is currently no option to switch between rendered cameras. This is a workaround, but it's one which works.

So, select camera one, and set the render range under Rendering Options to a first frame of 0 and a last frame of 250. Save the scene as Cam1.lws or whatever. Without reloading the scene or making any other changes, select camera two, change first frame to 251, last frame to 400, and save it as Cam2.lws.

When you render both scenes, you'll end up with a sequence in one folder than runs through with the cut between cameras.

The queue both sequences to render concurrently, you'll need to set up at least one ScreamerNet node, and use the Network Rendering panel to batch render. I'm sure this has been discussed in detail on here somplace! If it hasn't, then I guess it's about to ;)

otacon
06-04-2002, 08:28 PM
OKAY. That was a lot of info...i think i got it. Ill try it sometime when im ready to animate. Thanks.:thumbsup:

Bog
06-04-2002, 09:10 PM
I got lots of info.

Did you know it takes about 500 joules of energy to heat one kilogram of steel by one degree Kelvin, by the way? No? Well, there ya go! More info.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.