PDA

View Full Version : Environmental: Make a Wish

dickma
09-16-2003, 12:32 PM
Hi all,
My personal animation project "make a wish" has finished the environmental setup. But may be I got too much screenshots attached, so got deleted in previous time:p .

Anyway, I try to post one of the images & it's wireframe here, for other pics please click on the links.

http://www.chinavfx.com/bbs/attachments/200309/16175329-test5.jpg

http://www.chinavfx.com/bbs/attachments/200309/16181759-wireframe.jpg

http://www.chinavfx.com/bbs/attachments/200309/16175014-title.jpg
http://www.chinavfx.com/bbs/attachments/200309/16175041-destop1.jpg
http://www.chinavfx.com/bbs/attachments/200309/16175057-destop3.jpg
http://www.chinavfx.com/bbs/attachments/200309/16175212-test2.jpg
http://www.chinavfx.com/bbs/attachments/200309/16175229-test3.jpg
http://www.chinavfx.com/bbs/attachments/200309/16175307-test4.jpg
http://www.chinavfx.com/bbs/attachments/200309/16175400-test6.jpg
http://www.chinavfx.com/bbs/attachments/200309/16175424-test7.jpg

anieves
09-16-2003, 12:55 PM
beatiful images. They are quite unique. Looking forward your movie.

Mossy
09-16-2003, 12:55 PM
I like the style of rendering. How has that been done? hand sketches? was it just using standard lightwave?

dickma
09-16-2003, 01:03 PM
Actually I use a "standard" Lightwave, but for celshading, I use Unreal Shader.

for still images, I apply various filters using Corel Photo-paint,

Suppose in making animation, I have to do a lot of batch-processing works and using After effects.

All pics were made from Toshiba Notebook PIII 800 mhz, 512mb Ram and GeforcetoGo w/16MB

I got headache with animation because scenes are too big. :surprised

Facial Deluxe
09-16-2003, 01:32 PM
Otomo's mood :thumbsup:

(5 stars for me)

koroko
09-16-2003, 03:56 PM
It reminds me of Beyond, my favourite animatrix short, the use of lightning and the toon style is just gorgeous...

Im with facial, thats 5 stars for me too :)

any info on the movie :)

looking forward to it..

HowardM
09-16-2003, 04:39 PM
damn, my companys server cant see japan or china websites (?!?!?!...sux cuz i cant get any dstorm plugz from here!)
post some pix here!

dickma
09-16-2003, 04:48 PM
Thanks everyone...

Beyond is my favourite too..koroko.

Yes, I admitted that it is something like animatix....hehe.

but what I would like to construct is refer to the reality, i.e. the Hong Kong Housing Estate environment, but in toon shade form. And recent years HK is in depression in economy and ruined with SARS. what I would like to describe is a relatively poor living standard with noise and dust.

so, what I like to say is a sad story..... a guy who want to leave this place with his talent and ability, but didn't work out. and eventually meet someone and get into a mysterious place....

That is what the story about, the storyline is still composing now. But I am making a homepage to introduce my idea...

PhilOsirus
09-16-2003, 05:45 PM
As soon as I saw it I knew it was from Asia. Only asians have depicted their urban environments in such a simple yet descriptive look. I remember in Akira, the flashback scenes where you see the kids play in a park, or in Ghost in the Shell, when you see the airjet pass overhead. I love it:)

Strang
09-16-2003, 06:08 PM
beautiful...great mood

-Strang

joana
09-16-2003, 06:15 PM
Lovely mood. Congratulations!

dickma
09-16-2003, 06:19 PM
Phil "Osirus"

You make me smile from the heart! :love:

I personally like your comments...

Yes, there will be an airjet flying overhead

http://www.chinavfx.com/bbs/attachments/200309/17013341-tree3.jpg

but it is not an 'art for art sake' one, it is planned in my story line that the main character wants to leave this place.....

joana
09-16-2003, 06:21 PM
Ahh so dreamy!

Kel Solaar
09-16-2003, 08:08 PM
you have done a very nice work, the atmosphere and mood are excellent,maybe a paradise!

onscreen
09-16-2003, 10:10 PM
Good link from your render to the title.
It is really like a ...... wish :p

Good job for the rendering technique

phreek_3d
09-16-2003, 11:09 PM
Great images, and I too can't waiot for it to be animated.

Could we some strait LW renders? I would like to see how much is "3D" and what is "post". If possible. Thanks

-Kris

ninjacore
09-17-2003, 12:10 AM
wow, i love this!! i cant wait to see where this ends up!! and it reminds of "Beyond" as well, the animatrix. the sence of lighting is great, and i love the design!

:applause:

robin
09-17-2003, 04:38 AM
hhmm, i wonder where this is going to end up

Bravo

facial
09-17-2003, 05:03 AM
Interesting. I want to see your animation.
The rendering style is nice. post up more.:)

dickma
09-17-2003, 08:06 AM
I really love these words from openopen in the other thread:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by openopen
I don't think it is too difficu-,
Here is some tricks. close your eyes and draw number 3 on the paper. Open ur eyes see what you drew. I believe there is surely number 3 you can read. I think drawing is not matter of hand and skill. It is strongly related with ur brain, knowledge and eye. If you can draw something on your mind with your closed eye because you know completely about it, you can draw on the paper. It is drawing. Carefully look at everything and put the infomation in to your brain, finally you will draw.
I'm sorry. I'm not good one for drawing or FineArt but I got the tricks(?) form my long experience.

thanks again and Good luck to you.

www.ex3d.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like what openopen say......
My current obstacle/barrier is always from my computer.
I can do more in my mind, actually.

openopen
09-17-2003, 08:18 AM
So beautiful Art! I must say that..
Because it is art!!

:applause: :applause: :applause:

ex3d

NeoJin131
09-17-2003, 08:25 AM
Man, the pix are amazing
you MUST show us the animation short
when u finish. The pic of the jet flying
overhead is so cool

o, and I liked openopen's comment, too haha

dickma
09-17-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by facial
Interesting. I want to see your animation.
The rendering style is nice. post up more.:)

Ron Hui? is it?:p

Spady
09-17-2003, 01:32 PM
These renderings touch me a lot, because of the eerie mood and strong feeling of nostalgia which emanate from them.
Very nice work!

yinako
09-17-2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Dick Ma
Yes, I admitted that it is something like animatix....hehe.

It is better than animatrix.

dickma
09-17-2003, 04:05 PM
Spady: I love your avatar of the girl pic! beautiful facials.

yinako: Thankyou for your appreciation. Well what I can tell is that I made this rendering and visual effect is developed earlier than when the Animatrix DVD released...

Personally I like Kid's story, Beyond and Detective story.

Someone say that my story is similar to Beyond because of my story background, but actually I prefer more about the effects of the Kid's story. the Motion effects so excited...

Let me try to do a great animation, although I don't have a formal training...:p

Due to audience request, I'll do the "airjet" animation shorts first.

Rakanishu
09-17-2003, 06:16 PM
Just a little bit of critiques if i'm allowed...

- the overall color of the first picture is too saturated... I mean... its just too much yellowish color and it really hurts audiences' eyes...

- don't you think the trees look abit too "repeat"? or maybe its just because the overall composition looks abit... umm... boring i would say... what do you think?

- the background buildings look pretty flat there. I don't see any depth there.

- you missed alot of shadows in alot of places while some places the shadow seems placed at wrong places... light source is very confusing... just looks wrong really...

- since I noticed this scn is all composed by hardsurface models and "grids" basically. it shouldn't be a "too heavy" scn to render. maybe next time when you start modeling, you should consider how you do the model like how you spend less polygons on each objects.

- for a novice level I think it looks ok to me.

by the way, I think I saw those pictures you did like year ago, are you sure you did those during SARS time? Just curious...

Well keep up the work I know you and Lightwave can make better Toonshade than that ;)

I hope that helps... good luck~~

childplay
09-17-2003, 07:01 PM
nice atmosphere...

like the over all color..
reminds me at animatrix parts

great work
all the best
nikola drincic

dickma
09-17-2003, 07:09 PM
Hi Rakanishu,
I would like to make a response here.

1. I think the use of colour is something like signature for me. I didn't really want make a change of that...(did you check other pics of the below link, I hope you can have a look.)

2. Yes, the tree is look "repeated" because they are all clones from one tree using HD instance. But I've toggled the size and rotation. (So in tree modelling I have a little trick, make the tree leaves more sparse and let the branches stand out, then the trees will not like the same). Or I should make more species of botanicals here. But tree isn't a main subject of the animation, right? And I have to save polys because my computer isn't good to handle large scene.

3. The buildings has a real reference of the HK Housing Estate, because the original is flat, so the original depth isn't enough. But I've made clothes and air-conditioner hanging out of the building. (look at the airjet pic) And because, I use toon shading, some depth may level down.....

4. The light source is from top, so shadows don't come out on flat object. Actually, I would like to make the light lower like evening sun, but because the buildings are too high, the shadows will hide all the playground. I never study architecture before so after this project, I really know what is shadow design. :p

5. In cel-shading most of the efforts are spent in modelling in order to make the shading smooth, or the edges goes out. image texturing is rarely used. I seldomly use image texturing here because I have to handle lots of objects.

6. some of the models are from my own old stuff. But having this animation ideas may be started from July 2003, After the HK protest.... :)

Thanks for your comments...

dickma
09-18-2003, 06:55 PM
the airjet scene preview(the opening):

As the airjet flying across the sky, a crow feather is falling down slowly from the sky. It seems want to notice somebody something....

http://www.chinavfx.com/bbs/attachments/200309/19020236-temp.jpg

rendering in progress, just wait and see.....

paconavarro
09-18-2003, 07:05 PM
I must say Im amazed !!!

Great mood, great rendering, love the colors....!!!!

:thumbsup: X 5

dickma
09-19-2003, 04:37 PM
Due to the audiences request about the 'airjet' scene animation, I spent a two day rush to create a 20-sec animation opening test..

this is the address..

http://dickma.homeip.net:8080/dickma/opening.mov

it is a quicktime movie format
file size is about 18.6MB.....
right click and save as....
please be patients because of the low bandwidth.....

enjoy.

dickma
09-19-2003, 04:56 PM
the server may be too slow... I don't have a big server and bandwidth...

if you are lucky that finished the download.... you can share the animation using your own ftp....

thanks for your help...

Roman
09-19-2003, 05:14 PM
Looks nice.
I was wondering if there would be any characters? :) If so do you have any to show already?

dickma
09-19-2003, 05:20 PM
Of course there will be characters...but I am just finished the environmental settings....

need time to do character rigging, and doing animation.

keep checking this thread...

Roman
09-19-2003, 05:30 PM
I'll do for sure! Great mood in your images, and I love urban city scenes. I'm planning to recreate some parts of Kowloon (you must know if you are from HK) for a short in progress too.
Was just wondering what style you'd use for the characters, but whe will see :)

dickma
09-19-2003, 05:38 PM
Did you check the link for the animation? Roman...

I mostly concern more about the animation effects....

can you (or others) to make a download, pls...

the file size may be a little bit large....because it is toasted directly in After effects.... no Divx support...

Roman
09-19-2003, 05:48 PM
Jep I just d/l.(no problem with bandwith or speed) Hmm looks good, maybe the layer with the hatching lines is to much (makes it a bit too noisy maybe, could be resolution also), so you could make that abit more transparant maybe? For the rest I liked the pace and the way the feather turns out to fall in a pool of water . Maybe you could do something with the light coming from the sun and it being blocked when the plane is in front of it. Love the warm atmosphere, lovely. Keep it going, show us more :)

dickma
09-19-2003, 06:01 PM
Maybe you could do something with the light coming from the sun and it being blocked when the plane is in front of it. Love the warm atmosphere, lovely. Keep it going, show us more

I have do something that similar as what you say... but didn't work out when I place the spot light over the sun. I want some shadows on the buildings but not working...I don't know why.....

So, are you in Kowloon for the information of your scene making?

Roman
09-19-2003, 06:13 PM
You are just using one light I suppose?

No (although I'd love to), would not be possible, I'm refering to "Hak Nam" (I believe is the right name), the old walled city of kowloon.(cleared around 1993) But luckly I have been able to find some very good reference books in the past year. It won't be used in a Hong Kong but in a "fantasy" urban setting. But the walled city is such a great inspiration to use.

Vizjerei
09-20-2003, 02:36 AM
I LOVE HONG KONG~
and I love your render too~:applause:

PhilOsirus
09-25-2003, 12:03 AM
I cannot download it, it just waits. I will try again later:)

PhilOsirus
09-25-2003, 12:03 AM

dickma
09-25-2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Phil "Osirus"

I don't know what's problem..

KeepItEvil
09-25-2003, 12:47 PM
fancy,

i like the cartoony filter... gives it a animatrix sort of diveristy in style.

Wongedan
09-25-2003, 01:19 PM
cool style!!(hot style, i think!)

the ambient looks good, but some problems
with your buildings textures, on the distance, it still looks blurred, you need to work up with tiling, (or renew the building textures maybe) because the resolution is too low, can see the over blended textures....

ok thats my crits, hope will help you...

PhilOsirus
09-27-2003, 01:43 AM
Ah it did not load because I did not right click!:argh:

Beautifull! I really like it, and the music too!:) Want a comment?

When the jet passes under the sun, reduce whole scene's light intensity gradually as it passes under it and then brighten it back up to the normal amount, as when a cloud covers the sun for a short while.

And also I think the camera should move when the feather gets close to it so that we see it land on the ground, and then you have the wave effect and the title. Or else it is too static, as if the camera was just there waiting for a feather to come out of nowhere and land on its nose:)

I hope you understand what I mean. Keep us updated!:thumbsup:

Wongedan
09-28-2003, 07:11 PM
ooops the camera moving/shaking looks unatural, u need to improve it

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.