PDA

View Full Version : My Room (Lighting/Rendering)

designingpatrick
05-25-2010, 06:55 PM
The goal with this project is photo-realism. Because I have the reference in my reach I can actually measure the environment's properties. After the comp is "finished" it'll be translated for use in the Unreal engine.

http://www.patrickcoan.com/myRoom/images/progress/dayLight.jpg
http://www.patrickcoan.com/myRoom/images/progress/artificialLight.jpg
http://vimeo.com/11968383

mentalRay Max2010

Go ahead and point out the glaring issues- I'm only partially aware of them :)

PowderMonkey
05-26-2010, 03:51 AM
first impressions:

the lighting is nice, although the only light source that's been modelled is the window? add some lamps or make the window the light source. there's a light under the right of the desk, but nothing is producing it. separate issue: minimise the use of ambient lights. they are a quick fix, but can cause more problems than they fix.

i've just watched the video, and the lighting in it is much better. i'd suggest direct cuts rather than camera moves. having very subtle pans, tracks or dollys can work very effectively. the opening zoom, pause, zoom, is good, but this is an extreme camera move, and you don't want too much of that going on.

avoid sharp edges. in the world, the only thing with sharp edges are knives. everything else is even a tiny bit rounded. put a tiny bevel on the edges and they will appear more realistic, even from a distance. you don't need to bevel every single edge, just the sharp ones. if you're using maya, don't use the bevel function - anything even slightly more complex than a cube glitches up bigtime.

you have no skirting boards or cornices. these are the panels that go around the walls where they meet the floor (skirting boards) and ceiling (cornices). if you build a house, it's hard to make floorboards or carpet neatly meet the wall and skirting boards conceal the rough edges. ceilings are often not even attached to the walls, but are held up by beams, and the cornices close the gap. where the ceilings do meet the walls, cornices perform the same function as skirting boards - hiding rough edges.

the cushions on the seats are far too sharp. cushions are almost round. i'm assuming they are cushions because of the texture you've used. cushions often have piping around the edges.

you've got a good composition; the camera angle is good and the sizes of everything are well proportioned and placed. the devil is always in the detail. see how far you can push it =)

designingpatrick
05-26-2010, 04:54 AM
Light source under the desk; I will have to investigate that one- I'm not sure why it's there.
Also, it looks like I could turn down the bounced light?

I'll have to revisit the camera animations with more subtle and realistic movement.

Currently, I'm avoiding any geometry bevel/chamfer. I'm using the mR rounded corners, unless something needs special attention (I'm sure it will!)

skirting boards will be in the next version, cushions later- they need special time.

Thanks for the info regarding the cieling!

darinclifton
05-27-2010, 03:36 AM
The bottom image needs a lot of work, if you are going for photo real then you need real light sources, both physically and photometrically, right now they seem random and a little undefined. The day light image is much more convincing, A couple of things that you should check..
The round table doesn't seem to have contact shadows, same for its chair. The AO in the room corners looks too tight, widen/soften. A few items on the shelf wouldn't hurt and adding a background would help both set and sell the images exposure.
Good Luck!
D

designingpatrick
05-27-2010, 08:02 AM
Started into textures today
Added skirting boards
Got rid of AO
Added blinds and various objects

I feel like I'll wait until the scene looks complete in daylight before adding artificial lite.

http://www.patrickcoan.com/myRoom/images/progress/dayLight_may26.jpg

PowderMonkey
05-27-2010, 11:18 AM
the desk is a bit jaggy, it's a bit of a giveaway. i'm glad you've got a ceiling light in place =)

coming along nicely

CGTalk Moderation
05-27-2010, 11:18 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.