PDA

View Full Version : model size change when you export and import to maya from zbrush?

drawone
05-25-2010, 03:54 PM
Hello,
i know this is very common. when you create a model from maya and import to zbrush. then sculpt and export the obj out to maya again, the size of the model shrinks a little. is this because the way that zbrush smooth the model? This might not be a big problem because i can just scale the model to match, but still i am wondering if there is an option of plugin that give me the exact size of the obj when i export from zbrush.

how do you guys work with this? please share your working method with me

thanks

cgbeige
05-25-2010, 04:29 PM
make sure you freeze transformations on the model before exporting, if you're exporting a Maya ascii file for ZBrush. If you're seeing the faces move in from subdivision smoothing, then that's not scale differences. Upping the scale and trying to make a normal map or something in Maya will only cause problems.

IZZE
05-25-2010, 05:45 PM
When importing an OBJ into zbrush, it will be assigned a random scale. (something to do with the preview window in zbrush I think) So, what I do is:

Import my obj into zbrush.
Go to Export menu and set sale to 1, position to 0,0,0.
Re-import the same obj over the top of the first one you imported.
The obj should snap to the correct scale and position. Now all import and exports for this tool will be synced up with your application, as long as it is the top subtool in the list.

This is how I do it in XSI anyway. Hope it helps.

drawone
05-25-2010, 06:45 PM
thank you so much for the reply:)

frankrs
05-26-2010, 12:11 AM
GoZ? perhaps not, I'm a Max user myself but I've got a modified plugin called GoMax like GoZ that someone made for Max that makes the workflow a pretty much one click ordeal. If you haven't tried it yet you should.

CGTalk Moderation
05-26-2010, 12:11 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.