PDA

View Full Version : specular map with mia_material_x

wellHARD
05-25-2010, 01:56 PM
hey guys
can anyone tell me how to use a specular map in maya 2011, using the mia_material_x shader?

Ive created a black and white spec map and tried to apply it to various channels and I get no result, there is no specified specular channel with this shader so the next best place for me to put it would be in the reflection or glossiness channel....but still no result

any help or suggestions
Thanks

InfernalDarkness
05-26-2010, 05:12 AM
The mia_materials are physically accurate shaders, using conservation of energy. There are no "specular maps" in accurate materials.

Specular shaders such as Blinn, Phong, etc. use specularity features to "fake" light reflections. Mia_materials don't fake anything unless you tell them to. You don't need a specular map, is what I'm getting at. Or shouldn't. Post an example render of your shader?

kiryha
05-26-2010, 06:47 AM
Check "alfa is luminace" in color balance section of image file node.

wellHARD
05-26-2010, 10:50 AM
I will try get a render to you guys, thanks for you reply.

but i think you have solved the problem :)

TaKIKO
05-26-2010, 06:33 PM
If you wanna simulate a more specular only shader then check on " Highlights Only" and plug your specular map into the reflection color of the mia.

Sorath
05-27-2010, 07:50 AM
and set max distance to 0.001 and end color to black.
then you will likely have a blinn shader ;-)

Dangertaz
07-10-2010, 10:10 PM
I notice materials from time to time that do seem to have a specular but not much else: White plastic bottles, these bowling balls : http://www.bowlingtipsinfo.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/bowling_ball_250x251.jpg

tires.... http://www.lambolounge.com/chassis/wheels/tires/andy-tire-01.jpg

etc.

It seems like their reflectivity is low but a really strong light source like the sun or nearby light bulb is reflected anyway.

Is it possible to simulate these with a HDR? In the past when I've tried I had to lower the intensity of the HDR so the background disappears but then I lose the intensity of the lights as well. Maybe it depends on the quality of the HDR?

Is it possible to pipe a HDR into an IBL setup that generates the reflections of lights only ?

CGTalk Moderation
07-10-2010, 10:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.